Chapter Nineteen

"As I walked out the door toward the gate that would lead to my freedom, I knew if I didn't leave my bitterness and hatred behind, I'd still be in prison." -- Nelson Mandela.

- - - - -

Her heart stopped.

Her breath hitched.

She blinked. Once. Twice.

Then shook her head defiantly.

Thump. Thump. Her heart returned to a regular pace and her breathing returned back to normal. She gaped like a fish for a couple of seconds before she clenched her jaw.

Willing her voice to even out again, she finally said, "You're my mother."

The pounding in her head faded into the back of her mind as those words left her lips.

The woman stood at the far corner of the room, and now walked towards Sam as the woman shook her head, emotion flashing in her eyes.

She had soft blonde waves flowing past her shoulders, and dark green eyes like Sam's. Her eyes, Sam noticed, weren't exactly like hers; they looked tired, pained and . . . incomplete. Broken. She had dark, purplish circles and lines below and around them.
Yet, with an angular face, flawless skin and a fit, womanly figure, there was no doubt, Sam thought, that she got whatever she wanted by using her body as an advantage. And men being men, most probably did what she wanted and followed her.

The woman noticed that she didn't react the way she had expected her to, instead, she looked rather . . . disappointed and unsettled. She wasn't too sure, though, since she was expecting anger, hatred even and maybe some sadness, too.

"Yes," she replied in an even tone. "I am your mother."

Sam shook her head slowly. "You'll never be my mother, not through anything besides blood. No."

She cackled maniacally. "Dear, saying things like that won't change the fact that I am your mother and have a right over you."

Sam felt as if her heart beat slowed down a bit. She now knows what Anne meant all those years ago, she realised, as the woman's face came close enough that she could make out her features properly, even with her glasses askew on her face.

She was shocked at how calm she felt in the presence of her biological mother. She thought she would have freaked out, got scared maybe . . . anything besides being calm.

"Oh, nothing more to say?" she taunted, smirking slightly.

"Where are my friends?" Sam asked worriedly, suddenly realising that her friends were no where to be seen and that they were with her when she was taken.

She looked around the dark room frantically, the room was empty, completely bare.

Worry seeped into her voice as she repeated the question again and again, her eyes frantically searching the woman's for an indication of where they were.

"Don't worry about them, they're safe and sound," she replied, watching Sam carefully.

There seemed to be a double meaning to what she said, and Sam narrowed her eyes suspiciously.