Chapter Twelve

"Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak. Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." -- Sir Winston Churchill.

- - - - -

Chief Cross was sitting in his office, pondering over his thoughts.

Plan after plan popped into his head, yet none of them seemed right. There was more to this case than what was let on, he knew, because first there was a murder, and there was obviously a reason to it. Then there were threats; he didn't know what to think of it.

As far as he was concerned, Sam was a perfectly good person with a normal life, except her mother, but that didn't matter; she was long out of her life now.

Unless, he thought, she isn't as good as she seems.

He immediately shook off the thought the minute it arrived.
Samantha is a wonderful person, she wouldn't involve herself in these horrible things.

He sighed.

He was just making excuses for everything. He knew that there was nothing Sam could have done and that she was completely innocent, but he was just trying to make excuses for all that's happend.

Just then, the door to his office was pushed open and his son's head appeared. He immediately knew that he was up to something -- again.

Somehow, Lucas had wiggled himself into the case, and he couldn't do anything about it now.

He had agreed to it unknowingly, and he knew that Lucas was determined to get into it as far as he possibly could.

He couldn't blame him, though, he was exactly like this when he was younger.

He knew how it felt and how he thought about it all.

Lucas closed the door behind him, his father scanning his every move, and plopped down in the seat opposite him. Before he could speak, there was a knock on the door.

"Come in."

"Damario," Flynn greeted him.

Flynn was just below him and was his most trusted man from amongst all the crew members, and also his closest friend.

They knew each other from childhood, when their parents worked in the station. They had both developed the need to find out more about investigations and a passion to help.

They were partners in crime, up until today, and helped each other out back then, sneaking in investigations and sharing information together.

Like father like son.

Flynn had visited his grandmother in the farm. He returned as fast as he could once he had called and informed him.

Damario sighed, weighed down with the current situation.

"Flynn, always good to see you," he responded and got up.

"Lukey boy, you doing well?" Flynn only noticed Lucas now.

Lucas simply nodded and got up.

"Can we please talk later?" he asked, directing his question to his father.