Chapter Fourteen

"I don't have dreams. I have goals." -- Harvey Spector.

- - - - -

"No ways, that's not possible. You couldn't have scored!" Jeff argued, running a hand through his messy mop of light brown hair.

He was sweating profusely and highly frustrated by now.
Sam rolled her eyes. "You have eyes, don't you? You saw it yourself. I kicked the ball, it soared through the air, you missed it and it hit the net."

He rolled his eyes, the brown looking lighter than usual in the Sun.

"Yeah. I was there, too. She scored, Jeff, and being the horrible goalie you are, you missed it," Megs hit the back of his head.

"I'm not a horrible goalie. I'm the best there is," Jeff shot back.

"Sure you are," Sam said sarcastically.

"Better than pro's, too. You should join your fav soccer team then, don't you think? Barca sure needs you."

Megs giggled. "I still can't believe that your team is Barca. I mean . . . come on! Barca of all teams!"

"They're good players, Megs, and --"

Sam chuckled. "You loved Barca, too, Megs. Mostly because Messi's in the team. Who's your team now? I don't think you really have one 'cause you're always changing."

"I, uh . . . um."

"What 'bout you, Sam? If you're accusing us here, then I laugh if you don't even have a team," Jeff said.

"Pfft. United have always been my team. It'll never, ever change."

"United?" Megs spluttered, "United!"

"Yes, Megs, United."

Jeff laughed and pointed a finger at Sam. "They're horrible. I mean, have you seen what shit they play?"

"They've always been good, Jeff. Their current playing is only because of the manager issues. Once they have a proper manager again, they'll be back and playing better than ever," Sam argued.

"Sure they will, sure they will. No doubt 'bout that, Sam," he said.

Sam rolled her eyes and kicked the soccer ball, scoring an easy goal.

"Let's go inside. It's getting too hot out here. Summer is the worst, even when it's late," Sam turned around and led them back in the house.

"What we gonna do now?" Megs asked.

"How about a marathon?" Jeff suggested.

"Yeah, right, where we gonna run to?"

Sam laughed. "He means a movie marathon, Megs, not the actual thing."

Megs blushed a deep red. "Oh, right."

"But I say, no. Let's do something fun. I'm not gonna sit in this house, boiling like a kettle, when we can do so many better things," she disagreed.

"What you got in mind?" he asked.

Sam shrugged. "Anything."

"Oh! I know," Megs pointed her index finger in the air.

"Do we still have those boards in the forest? Y'know, the ones we always shoot at with the bow and arrows."

"Yip, we still do. The bow and arrows, too," replied Sam.