Chapter Three

"The Earth has music for those who listen." -- William Shakespeare.

- - - - -

Sam breathed in the fresh air and listened to the peaceful sounds around her. She closed her eyes and enjoyed the moment. Treasuring it. Memorising it.

There was slight rustling of the leaves from the cool breeze. The birds were chirping different tunes and water could be heard in the distance.

These calming sounds eased Sam's mind. She opened her eyes and saw a magnificent bird swoop down and sit on a tree branch in front of her, unaware that Sam was sitting a few feet away from it.

She slowly moved into a more comfortable position and gripped her camera -- a Sony RX100 -- that was hung around her neck and positioned it so that she could take a clear picture of the bird. She recognised it, but could not remember what kind of a bird it was.

Its wings were big and looked heavy yet fragile, it had a body not too big nor too small that was covered in multiple colours. Its feet had long, extended claws protruding from it that was gripping the branch it was standing on. Its beak was long and sharp; it was orange and darkened towards the ending and the tip of the beak was black.

Just as the bird looked straight at Sam with striking green eyes that stood out -- despite the plants behind it --, it then spread its wings to take off, and Sam took the picture.

She smiled in satisfaction as she looked at the image, amazed at the beauty and perfection of the bird.

She looked up just as the bird flew out of sight and stood up, knowing at she had -- once again -- spent more time here than she had planned to. She glanced at her watch which told her that it was 6:45 am.

She turned around and walked back the way she had come to return home. She knew that Ian would be waiting impatiently for her.

She walked a little faster as the house came into view. Just as she was about to open the door, it opened itself and her impatient Uncle stood behind it. He gave her a look that said 'again' and sighed before walking out and locking the door. Sam stepped back a little to give him more space.

"Come on, let's go," he said and started walking.

"Okay. Sorry for making you wait," she apologised.

"No, it's okay. Don't worry about it."

Since Transville was a small town, it didn't take long to get to one place to another, thus it being the reason her Uncle walked to work everyday.

Sam looked around at the other shops as they made it to The Square. The Square was where most of the shops were situated, as well as Ian's shop, The Photo Story.

They made it to the shop in what seemed like a minute and he unlocked the shop, going inside and Sam followed.

Ian walked to the back and switched everything on. He came back and looked at his watch and then at the clock that hung on the wall.

"The staff will be here now. Let's just get you sorted out first. It'll make things easier. Come on."

Sam followed him and they went through the back door where she had found him working the previous day.

"Okay, so you know what to do and things so that's not a problem. Um, I'm busy with some pictures that were ordered, but other than that, there's nothing I can think of," he said.

"Okay, so what can I do, then?" Samantha asked.

"You can help the new staff I have -- there's quite a lot of them -- and if you want to, you can take pictures for samples of albums, prints et cetera for buyers," he said.