Chapter Fifteen

"Sometimes you search so hard for words. You look for a way to interpret the language of this heart and the unspoken bond you feel. But in the end you are left with nothing but silence. And deep down you hope it's understood." -- Yasmin Mogahed.

- - - - -

The heavy rain sounded thunderous as it poured down upon the little cabin.

Lightning struck through the air. Once. Twice. And again, leaving a blinding white flash behind. The sky was made up of shades of black and dark blue. The Sun was hidden behind the angry clouds and the houses lights were left on, illuminating the sidewalks in an eerie yellow glow, and not one car was seen on the road nor was one person.

The expected rain showers had finally arrived, but had very, very bad timing.

"Come on. Now of all times," Lucas repeated for the umpteenth time.

He pressed his palms against the cabin's window and leaned his forehead against the cold surface. The rain trickled down and the mist made it difficult to see what was happening outside.

He shivered and rubbed his arms to gain some warmth. The cabin was cold since there was only one heater. Everyone was dressed warmly besides Reece who was wearing a thin shirt.

Reece rolled his eyes. "Would you chill out? It's not the end of the world, you know."

Lucas turned away from the window to look at his friend.

He gave him an irritated look and blew out a breath. Reece pushed him out of the way and stood by the window. His vibrant green eyes stared back at him as he looked outside.

He gave Lucas a side glance and then asked, "Why are you so worked up anyway?"

Lucas sighed. "I don't even know."

Reece grinned and crossed his arms.

"Something's up with you," he paused, thinking.

"You never help someone unless it involves money or something you want, so why are you helping this girl? As far as I know -- which is everything -- she's not giving you anything in return."

Lucas tensed and didn't reply. Reece gave him a knowing look and broke into a fit of laughter.

Lucas, clueless as to what he's laughing at, raised an eyebrow. "And what exactly is your conclusion?"

That made Reece laugh harder, and after a few minutes he looked at Lucas who was impatiently waiting for an answer.

"Dude, you can't be serious. Are you that dumb?"

Lucas blew out a long breath and tried to figure out what he was thinking. He knew Reece had a tricky mind, and he could never figure out what he was thinking. But majority of the time, Reece was always right. He could do almost anything he wanted to, and that's a lot of things.

Reece noticed Lucas' impatience and looked him straight in the eye. "You like her. That's why you're helping her."

Lucas rolled his eyes. "Whatever. Anything I say isn't going to make a difference, so I won't say anything."