Chapter 5- "Stars"

Start from the beginning

I looked at Carter. He was doing the same thing that I was doing earlier, closing my eyes and leaning back. He was still talking though. It's is only my first day back with him and things were already feeling comfortable being around the guy.

"You remember that?" I ask in shock.

"Of course."

That's a bit shocking. I don't even remember much, just the fact that I love swings.

"How?"

"Cause you named me the king of the swing sets."

He opened his eyes and looked at me with a dorky grin making me blush. It's a good thing it's dark out here, otherwise he would've seen.

"Want to have a contest?," he asks, "Whoever goes the highest buys the other person food."

"Challenge accepted!"

Immediately, I start to swing again kicking off the ground to give me a boost. I am starving.

~

"Kings always win!," Carter exclaimed.

We ditched the playground afterwards, and now we are trying to find a place to get some food.

"I think you have an advantage, since you are bigger than me," I point out.

"Don't be a sore loser now, Lena" He says.

One thing I can't help about myself, is that I am a sore loser. A very big one at that. Since I am the very big sore loser, I stop talking and start to ignore Carter. This is probably why I barely had any real friends.

"Lena?"

I look away avoiding eye contact.

"You didn't change at all." He snickered.

"What is that supposed to mean!," I snap.

"Nothing, I take it back!"

"You better," I mutter.

"What was that miss French?," Carter asks me using formal. He tilted his head to the side and raised an eyebrow.

"Nothing Mr. Chadwick," I smile my best smile.

"Good. Now why don't we go get some fro-yo?"

I agree, and we walk into a place called tutti frutti. At least this place is cheap, I only have a little money on me right now. I would've been stuck if he picked a restaurant.

"Don't get so much, okay?" I tell him.

He goes straight to the fro-yo machines ignoring what I just said.

I guess that's how it feels to be ignored.

I grab the smallest bowl and fill it up with the chocolate flavored yogurt. The toppings I put on it, only included popping boba, and the crushed up candy bars.

Carter was behind me still filling up his bowl. My mouth dropped at how much stuff he's getting. He basically got some of everything!

"Are ya done yet?," I asked in an accent.

"Just some sprinkles on top.... there! I'm done. Wait! There's fudge!"

I roll my eyes and put my bowl on the little weighing platform. Carter places his on their too and the customer weighs them.

"That will be $8.20." The cashier says.

I dig into my pocket and take out a ten dollar bill.

"Here you go," I smile.

She gives us colorful spoons and my change.

Carter is already outside eating his frozen yogurt. I say thank you to the worker and rush outside to Carter.

"A thank you would be nice," I hint.

"Thonk ooh." He says with a mouthful of yogurt.

We walk back to the hotel devouring our dessert. I didn't realize how far we walked this whole time. The building is a good fifteen minutes away.

"Wait, stop." Carter whispered.

I jammed into his arm he put out in front of me.

"Ow. Why?" I complain.

"I think we are being followed." he whispers to me again.

"Don't loo-"

I whip my head around and see two people in suits with sunglasses blocking their eyes. One was tall and big, the other was smaller but just as big.

The tall one stopped walking and stared at us. Meanwhile, the shorter one started talking.

"Lena..... on the count of three, we are going to run, okay?" Carter says.

I turn back around and nod. We take small steps forward continuing on our way.

"1. . . ."

I gulped getting scared. What if they are the people who trashed my house? I feel like I'm going to puke.

"2. . . ."

I looked up at Carter in panic. We didn't even start running, yet my heart started to beat fast. The air around us got thicker. I feel a soft hand holding mine. It was Carter's. Now it's time to run.

"3!"

We start sprinting as fast as we could. People around us dived out of our way before we can ram into them. I hold on to Carter's hand tighter. I couldn't help myself, and looked back to see if the people were still behind us. Sure enough, the two people we saw were running as well.

I whipped my head forward so fast I'm surprised I didn't get whiplash. I tried my best to keep up with Carter. My mind was going crazy as I tried to sprint faster. I really am out of shape. I was already getting out of breath.

"Over here!" Carter said.

He guides us into a dark and empty alley. Wouldn't this be the worst place to go? We hide behind a huge dumpster so we are out of sight from the sidewalk.

We bend down and exchange looks. I'm surprised to see that Carter was calm. He looked like we were in a game of hide and seek, while I probably looked like I was in a horror movie. He slowly brings his finger to his lips signaling that I should stay quiet. Nodding, I kept my mouth shut.

We were so close to each other, I could feel his chest breathing.

He was technically holding me as I held onto my legs. He was comforting and strong, but the running made it too hard to breathe. I could feel my palms getting sweaty. My head felt like I had a bad fever, it was going to burst any second.

We stay in this position for a few minutes. Carter slowly and quietly sticks his head out the side of the dumpster.

"Stay here." He orders.

I nod hurting my head. He stands up and goes out of sight. I wait patiently alone. I could start to feel the cooler air.

"It's clear, let's go." Carter announces.

I stand up carefully and join Carter.

"We should hurry up," he suggests, "the hotel is just down the street more."

We fast walk our way back to the hotel. I kept on looking around making sure those creepy guys weren't following us again. When we got to the hotel, we ran straight inside and to the elevator.

"That was exciting!" Carter exclaimed once the doors closed.

I gaped at him. He had the biggest smiling face I have ever seen! How can someone be so happy after being chased?!

"Aw no!" He suddenly exclaimed looking sad.

"What's wrong?," I ask.

He looked at me in disbelief.

"Carter, what's wrong?" I repeat.

Then, the elevator rings and the doors slid open to our floor.

"I didn't finish my fro-yo!"