Chapter 11 - "Destination ..."

I twirled the pencil around my fingers and watched as it fell to the ground.

I was being forced to wait for Carter while he talked to Mr.Owens about his duties. To keep me occupied, they literally gave me paper and a pencil so that I can draw. They still think of me as a little kid. May as well give me a coloring book with some crayons.

Well actually I wouldn't mind doing that.

I take a look at my paper to see several poorly drawn animals with the same styled eyes. My giraffe was freakishly too skinny, my elephant had extra toes, and my tiger had inaccurate stripes. At least you could tell what each were...I hope.

The sound of a phone ringing causes me to look up to where Carter is. When he answers he turns to look at me. It must be my father, or another bodyguard.

I raise my eyebrow at him, and he raises both of his in response.

When he ends the call, he turns to say something to Mr.Owens before walking out towards me.

"We're leaving now, your father has some news for you."

I had a feeling it was dad.

I decide to leave my beautiful animal masterpieces on the table for someone lucky to find it. I grab my jacket and head out with Carter.

"Do you know what the news is?" I ask him.

"No idea, but I don't think it has anything to do with the case."

I refrain from talking to Carter as I try to think of all the possible things that my dad may tell me. He might have found himself a new woman, he could be handing over the company, he's going bankrupt, or I got a pet dog.

"If it's something serious about the threats or the people, I would've known about it. You don't have to worry much for now."

Sure enough, it wasn't bad news that I'd have to worry about.

My dad stared at me in the eye waiting for my reaction.

"I know it's not Paris, but I figured it'd be just as exciting."

"Lena? Do you not want to go?"

My mind finally processed what was going on.

"No dad, it's perfect! Of course I want to go to London! This is so great, I can't wait!" I exclaim.

My dad sighed in relief and gave me a soft smile.

"Good, that's good."

I look over to Carter and he gives me two thumbs up.

"Not that it matters, but why London so suddenly?"

I figure that it must be business associated if we are going so soon.

"We are invited to a formal party celebrating the 50 year anniversary of Orion, a fellow tech company."

"Formal party meaning I have to wear something fancy and expensive?"

"Of course. You'll be going shopping in London the day before."

Although I would have liked to go to London strictly for vacation, this won't seem too bad. Just one evening of partying, and the rest of the trip should be exploring. I could survive one night of formal.

"So when do we leave?" I ask.

"We should be boarding our plane in the morning."

I jump out of my seat without excusing myself.

"I need to start preparing now then," I boom sprinting off.

There isn't much to pack, since I still have a majority of my things at my house. I would have to remind dad to take me to pick up some things including my clothes.