Chapter 4- "My Choice"

~4~

"Lena, who have you picked to be your bodyguard?," Nathan asked.

I gulped. Why did all of the bodyguards have to be here? Everyone stared at me with impatience. A lot of them looked as if they already knew who I was to pick.

"I'm going to pick..." I trailed off.

I looked around at everyone again as well as my dad. Okay, here it goes...

"Carter."

Everyone started to cause a scene.

"Knew it!"

"Told you so."

"You owe me twenty dollars."

"No!"

I was shocked. Was it that cliché?

"Man, I actually thought that I would get picked this time," Zach frowned.

Nathan had pulled Carter aside, so I haven't seen his reaction yet. Everyone else was lost in rambles.

"It it makes you feel any better, you were my second choice." I told Zach.

He picked up his head and smiled at me.

"Thanks, Miss French."

"Oh no!," I shook my head, "don't call me that, just Lena is fine."

"Sorry Miss French, but I don't think boss would like that very much," he says.

So now he is acting professional.

"You know, I'm most likely your backup bodyguard, so if anything happens to Carter, I got your back," he whispers with a wink.

"That is terrifying," I laugh in a joking matter. Zach laughs along.

"You can't even hurt me if you tried, Zach."

Carter steps up and joins our conversation.

"Wanna bet?," Zachary smirks.

Carter steps up to him, and so does Zach. They both smash their foreheads together, glaring. I slowly back away not entirely knowing what they were going to do; however, they just end up laughing.

I was lost a bit, but it's a good thing they didn't start a fight.

"Alright, the rest of the bodyguards have to attend a meeting. Carter, come with me and I'll discuss the plans and schedules," Mr.Owens announces.

All the bodyguards walk out, again not giving me anytime to say goodbye. Even Carter and Zachary leave without a word.

It was just my dad and I left in the suite.

~

I decided to watch some tv to kill some time, since Dad wouldn't let me go anywhere without the bodyguard. I switched the channel to Captain America. Chris Evans is hot, I couldn't resist. I mean c'mon, Captain America AND The Torch? He could be my bodyguard.

I laugh a little on my silly thought, which led to me thinking I have gone mad.

Once Captain America ended, I put on Netflix to my favorite Disney movie, Hercules. It's a pretty underrated movie in my opinion. Megara and Hercules is one of the best Disney pairings next to Jane and Tarzan, and Rapunzel and Flynn.

The whole time, my dad was glued to his phone and talking in whispers. I could sense his stress all the way from the living room.

"Dad, what's for dinner?" I call out. He stood in the kitchen with his back facing me. Of course he ignores me. He continues to worry over the phone.

I continue to watch and sing along to Hercules' I can go the Distance. One of my favorite Disney songs, another underrated thing.

"Lena, please, keep it down," dad says with irritation.

I feel a bit angered, but I shut up and just watch. Unfortunately, you can't watch a Disney movie and not sing along, so I just lower the volume on the remote.

I get up and drag my feet towards the kitchen where Dad is at. I sit down on a stool at the counter. With both fists holding my chin, I stare down dad.

"What?" He mouths to me.

I mouth back, "What's for dinner?"

He pulls the phone away and gives me a mean glare.

"Hold on, Lena," He orders.

I let my head hit the countertop and stay there.

It is absolutely boring here. Everything I think about doing, is back at the house. I should've brought some stuff that would entertain me. I can't even text Riley, because my dad doesn't want anyone to know what happened. He literally turned off my phone, something about having to do with the crazy nut cases who ruined our house.

I hear dad finally ending his phone call with a couple of "okays".

"Lena, that was a very important phone call. I need you to stop interrupting all the time, Kiddo," he told me with a sympathetic tone. I could tell he wants to yell at me. Since he knows I never liked being so rich, he gives me sympathy.

"What was it about?" I ask.

"Our house. The whole case," he answers rubbing the sides of his heads.

"And what about the case?"

He takes in a deep breath and stays quiet, thinking about something. I hope he will actually open up to me about what is going on.

"You don't need to know about it, Lena," he states.

Of course he decides not to tell me. I get off the stool so that I was standing. I'm starting to get real sick of not knowing what's going on.

"Don't need to know about it? Dad, I am also in this situation, I need to know what's going on! It's driving me crazy! Are we hiding from someone? WHAT IS IT?" I yell in anger and frustration.

"Calm down. Just know, to be careful," he instructs.

"BE CAREFUL OF WHAT EXACTLY? I need to know what to look out for, Dad," I raise my voice.

"Lena! Just trust that everything is going to be okay."

"It's never been okay! Ever since we moved into that huge house, everything hasn't been okay. I'm tired of being taken cared of all the time, and I'm tired of being seen as a fragile person. I can protect myself!" By now I was walking back and forth. I used many hand gestures, and widening eyes.

Everything I said was scattered, because I had a lot of arguing in my veins. I couldn't control what I say, it was like something clicked. All I know is that I'm angry.

"Lena... There is too much right now. I will tell you everything soon, I promise," he says.

"Like how you promised to take me to Paris?"

The door lock clicks, and opens. Dad and I stay silent watching the door. Hercules is still playing on the tv, being the only noise heard.

Carter's head peaks through the door.

"Mr. Owens gave me an extra room key," he announces awkwardly. Oh right, he's my bodyguard.

I quickly put on some sneakers, and grab the nearest jacket I could find.

"Come on, Carter," I order.

He hasn't even stepped fully inside. I grab his wrist and yank him along. I heard my dad say my name, but I didn't bother. He told me I can go outside if my bodyguard was with me, and now he is here.

Carter closed the door and followed. I fast walked to the closest elevator dragging Carter along.

"Where are you going?," Carter asks.

I ignore him and wait for the elevator to arrive.

"Miss French?"

"It's just Lena," I say irritated.

I realize I was still holding his wrist. I awkwardly let go.

"Lena, where are we going?," He repeats.

The elevator door opens, and I step inside.