Chapter 5- "Stars"

~5~

We reached the lobby and the elevator doors opened.

"Seriously, where are we going?," Carter asks.

This whole time I was ignoring his questions. Don't bodyguards just follow you and not talk to you? I continued on and started walking towards the entrance.

"Lena?"

"For a walk." I finally answer giving up.

"You know, this might be a bad idea," he informs me.

I stopped where I was and turned to him, "That's why I have you."

He didn't say anything in response, so I smirked and continued on my way. He cleared his throat and followed me with a good three feet distance.

We made it to a nearby park without any conversation. The sun was almost set and it already started getting dark. I start to debate whether or not I should keep going, or just head back before dad gets worried. I did just leave quickly without notice. This was a really bad and pointless idea, but I am still mad over what happened.

Off in the distance I see a playground structure. It's not too far from here, maybe we can stay here for just a little longer.

I take a glance at Carter who was behind me, to see that he was scanning the area. Turning back around, I readied my stance. After counting to three, I take off running to the playground in front of us.

A few seconds later, "Hey! Lena!"

I could hear his footsteps speeding up making it sound like he started running. I sprinted faster to try and keep a good distance, but soon enough he already caught up to me. I should've known he could run very fast, since he has a career in being a bodyguard.

I slowed down and we both came to a stop in front of the playground. I stood panting and out of breath.

"Someone is out of shape," Carter laughed.

"Shut- Up- Mr- Body- Guard- " I said in between breaths.

I stormed off to the swing sets with Carter following. I picked which one I wanted to sit on and started to kick my feet. Carter joined on the one next to me, but sat instead of swinging.

My body kept getting higher the more I swung. It felt very relaxing with the slight breeze in the air. I tilted my head back and closed my eyes. Swinging back and forth like everyone would do. I used to be scared closing my eyes on the swing, but now it's the best feeling in the world.

"Careful." Carter says.

I reopen my eyes to look at Carter.

"Can you please just be a friend instead of a bodyguard for right now?" I ask rhetorically. I know it has been years since we have seen each other, but I could use a friend of any sort.

By now, I've stopped using my legs, and just let the swing slow down. I close my eyes again, just taking in fresh air. I've missed this feeling in a while.

Carter slowly starts to kick off and swing matching my height.

"Remember when we were kids and everyone during recess would line up to take turns on the swings?" Carter's voice spoke breaking the silence.

I opened my eyes and sat up straighter. Looking up, I could see the stars already starting to appear. It's amazing how you can actually see them, despite being in a city with tall buildings. Then again, we are in a pretty big and spacious park.

"Yeah," I softly smile to myself thinking back on that memory. It was during first grade, around the time Carter and I first met.

"I remember it was your favorite thing to do, and you use to have everyone call you the Queen of the Swingsets. Whenever someone said they were better than you, you said you can always go higher than them. You were the most ambitious person I ever saw!" He exclaimed.