Chapter 3.5- "The Bodyguards"

~ 3 part 2 ~

I faced the bodyguards with a smile.

"I'm Lena French! Elijah French's daughter," I introduce myself.

A couple of them start to laugh. My eyebrows furrowed in confusion. Why are they laughing at me? Do I have something in my teeth again?

"We know, Miss French. It's nice to meet you. I'm Nathan Owens, the head of this organization and we are all here to protect you and Mr. French," a man said.

I shook his hand, "It's nice to meet you too."

"And I'm Zachary Parker," another boydguard said with a wink, "but you can call me Zach."

"Hello Zach," I greet back. He is one of the bodyguards that looks young and definitely attractive.

"You are really stunning in person," Zach said.

My face turned red at his words. Did he really just say that? Shouldn't he be professional, or at least act like one?

He took my hand and kissed the top of it. I didn't think a bodyguard could be flirty, especially with a client. I'm feeling uncomfortable at this state now, so I take a step back.

"Enough Zachary, It's my turn to talk to her." another guy in a suit says pushing Zach away and taking his place.

The guy now standing in front of me smiled. I smiled back politely. He looks really familiar. He has brown eyes and dark hair. I looked at his features and tried to recognize who he was. The way he stood with his hands in his pockets was very significant. Not only is his posture familiar, but so is his face. I'm guessing he noticed me looking at him weirdly because of what he says.

"Hey Lena! Remember me?" the guy asks.

So I do know him! I studied his looks again and tried my best to see if I remembered who he was. I'm not getting anywhere.

His facial expression turned from joyful to hurtful. He stepped away from me and folded his arms.

"From elementrary and middle school?!," he blurted.

I thought for a second. Still nothing. I slowly shook my head feeling bad that I can't remember.

"Don't tell me you forgot about your best friend!"

Then it hit me.

"Carter?"

He smiled, "the one and only.'

All of my childhood memories came flooding back to me. How could I not have guessed it sooner?! Carter was my best friend, until my dad and I moved during my last year of middle school. We left so suddenly that Carter and I didn't have time to hangout for the last time. I lost all contact from him for some reason. I never heard of him again. You would think since it was only a few years ago, I would've noticed him. Puberty must've hit him hard like Miley Cyrus' wrecking ball; however, he has gotten handsome.

"I can't believe you're here!." I shout in joy.

Nathan joined in on our conversation, "I didn't know you two have met."

"Met?," Carter smirked, "We were the bestest of friends when we were kids!"

After minutes of our little reunion, we had to get on with business. I almost forgot about the fact that they are bodyguards flooded in my room. I threw away my schoolgirl talk and went back to professional. Now that I know that Carter is here, maybe this bodyguard thing will be alright. It's nice to see a friendly face.

I met a few more bodyguards named Noah, Ty, and Connor. They were also very nice and outgoing, but my mind was still on my old best friend.

"Lena, I want you to pick one of these guys here to be your 24/7 bodyguard. You can choose anyone here, including me. The person you pick will be by your side to guard you at all times. We will have back up bodyguards for you as well. Here are everyone's profiles, you can take a look," Nathan explained.