Chapter 2- "Break In"

~ 2 ~

"That was a nice change, wasn't it?," dad questioned after we finished our restaurant dinner.

"Yeah..."

I couldn't help but notice how my dad kept on looking around the restaurant when I would try and make a conversation. It was as if he was searching for someone. I probably watch action movies too much.

"Dad, what's wrong?," I ask. I can't take this mysterious act my dad is putting on.

"Lena, I told you not to worry about it."

Then I start to raise my voice, "How can I not worry about something if you can't even tell me what it is!"

He looked as if someone was holding a gun to the back of his head. Yeah, I really need to cool it with the movie situations and Hawaii Five-O.

"I'll tell you when the right time comes," he said.

Just then, we pulled into our house. I got out as soon as Lance stopped the car, and stormed off to the front door. I take out my key, but then I notice the door was already unlocked. Not really caring, I open the door.

When I take one step, the first thing I see is a destroyed painting laying on the ground and glass scattered on the floor.

"What the--"

I turn my focus towards the living room and see Autumn lying on the ground.

My mind went blank, and I felt frozen. It took a minute for me to realize she needed help fast.

I let out a scream as I ran towards her still body. Dad would probably hear me scream and come.

There is blood on her forehead which makes me panic. She has a big gash that looks gross. My hands start shaking and my face feels drained. I slowly reach my hand out to Autumn. I put my two fingers on her neck to see if she was still alive. After a few long seconds, I feel a beat. I let out my breath realizing I was holding it in the whole time.

"Lena! Where are you?!," my dad comes in the house screaming.

"I'm in the living room!," I yell back.

I could hear my dad's footsteps come closer rapidly and soon his figure appears before me.

"Autumn!," he screams.

"She's still alive, dad." I choke.

He slowly went down on his knees and pulled me in for a hug saying, "It's alright honey, don't cry."

I hadn't even realized I was crying until he pointed it out. That's when I started to cry harder as my vision was getting blurry with my tears.

"Mr. French! You must see this!," Lance shouted from the dining room.

Dad let go of me and stood up, "I'll be right back honey. In the meantime, I need you to call the police right now!"

I grabbed our house phone on the coffee table as my dad ran out of the room and to Lance.

I dialed 911, and waited for an answer.

"911 what's your emergency?," a voice spoke.

I tried to speak as best as I could with my heavy breathing and tears. I tried not to stutter, but I couldn't help myself.

"Police will be on their way," was the last thing they said.

I hung up the phone and tried to stop my crying. When I finally thought I could handle it, I joined dad and Lance in the dining room.