K e e pT h eD i s t a n c e (D)

"Ethan."

"Hey Ethan. Ethan!" I snapped back upon hearing her hands clap.

"Yea? You're-- you're saying?" I ask.

"What's with you? You look scared. You're frightening me. Let's go back?" panic floods her face. She said earlier she's afraid being in the middle of the ocean but like to witness the sunset in this distance. So I brainwash her a bit to summon her derring-do. Now she's scared again. She reluctantly glance at the water then to the shoreline. Measuring the distance.

Oh no.

"No Karina. Calm down. We're okay here. I'm not scared." I said calming her. I'm never been scared in my life until..

No. No.

"Are you sure?" her voice falter.

"Of course. Let's go." The sea turns to orange. This is a lovely place to stay for long. On different moment maybe..

I stir the boat towards the shoreline. She tightens her grip. I smile and remember what I should have said.

"I know why it slipped your mind. When I told you my name, you look sick." I said as we sail back.

"Yea. I remember now. Sorry." she look forlorn.

"For what?"

"Sorry for-- for this. My bitchiness and all." she laugh.

"It's okay. Maybe Damon is really an asshole."

She giggled then laugh hard.

"Have you heard yourself say bitch and ass? What's with your tongue? You really sound funny." She said between laugh. "But yea. He's an asshole." she said after composing herself.

"He's your boyfriend?"

"No."

"Ex?"

"No."

"Who is he then?"

She looks at me then on the water.

"My-- my best friend." she said hastily. As if her tongue would burn if those words linger too long in her mouth.

"Oh. You want to talk about it?"

"No."

"They say it's better to vent away on strangers. They don't know you so judgments are impede. They can't say--

"No."

We stare at each other. She break away first.

I sigh. Okay Daemon. You've known her for less than 24 hours. It's helluva none of your business. And God, bless his will, why are you even in this boat alone with her? Tss.

Wait.

"Let me guess, you don't want to talk about it because you're afraid that if you'll pour it out, you'll eventually realize that you really don't have any problem. That there's nothing to be angry about. That, he, Daemon the first, is just a victim here." I said abruptly.

"What the hell? He made me fall in love with him. He mislead me with all his actions. For 8 years Ethan! For 8 fucking years! He's one hell of an ignorant. Saying he doesn't have  a clue about what would I feel. He's claiming this is all my fault. Because, as he implied, that I am one hell of an assuming and, yea, stupid. He made me feel like I'm the worst idiot in this world! And you're saying he's a victim here??" her eyes flood with an ominous tears but she quickly wipe it away with her knuckles.

I bit my tongue to stop myself from laughing. But I can't contain it. I grin. Then crack up. She shot a dark stare in me when she realize what just happened. I hold my mouth to stop myself from bursting when she haul her body from the boat and stomped away.

I haul myself from the boat and leave it with Mang Ando who's been waiting for us when he saw us approaching. He smile at me but I know that from the way he look at Karina, something is building from the back of his mind. I ignore it. Too defensive might nail a man.

I thank him and follow Karina.

"Hey Karina! Hey come here in the Philippines!' I tease as I run after her.

She shot me again a bloody stare then hold her middle finger.

Oops. I stop chasing. I let her go alone. What am I doing here?

Daemon. Daemon. Daemon. Get a grip man.

I'll stroll for awhile then go back to the hotel. It's almost 7pm. Night life will sprung in an hour. Some are setting up their stage. Others lay their blankets on the shore. Waiting for the night to unfold and reveal the beauty of the ocean under the moonbeam. The other side of it. I've witness it for a thousand times. Nature's way of soothing people's broken soul. The rising of the sun when I'm in my balcony facing the mountain, the setting of it when I'm all alone in the middle of the ocean, the magical silence before dawn and the voice of the sea as it hit the shore and resilient rocks. I love this place. God is the greatest. I couldn't ask for more. I'm ready to give everything He ask. I'm almost there. Just one more year.

Then 13 hours ago..

No. Don't go there Daemon.

Something is battling inside me. And I don't want to mind nor settle it.

I close my eyes and a liquid drop. Then a all of a sudden they all come gushing out. The crystal blood of something broken inside us. The blood of a lost, demented, abandoned, hurt and rejected heart and soul. Tears.

I heave a deep calming breath after drying them and head to the hotel. I find Samantha and Mark sharing a private joke. Mark is leaning on the desk whispering something to my sister and she giggles. I roll my eyes. They've been to together for 5 years now. They're laughing and giggling when they spotted me. Mark's mood change. I wonder what he has partake to Sam.

She wave as I approach them.

"Hi Daemon."

"Sam. Will you change that trashy garb?" I snap at her.

"What's your problem Daem? We've talk about this 10 years ago right?" she said snickering.

"Never mind." I said then she squints her eye at me. I look away.

"What happened with Karina and you? She came her running and quiet mad."

"Nothing. Maybe we'll resume our trip after tomorrow."

Mark cough.

I reach for my key card under the desk when the phone for the rooms ring. Sam pick it up.

"Good evening! How may I help you?" Sam never bothered to introduce herself on the guest. She's the worst receptionist. She looks at me then grin. "Oh hi Karina, you need anything? Yea, okay. Sure. Wait what? Oh. Yea. Okay. No problem. Bye." she put the phone smiling goofily.

"Karina said she's apologizing for the attitude. She'll be ready for tomorrow's trip." 

"Okay." I start to head to the elevator.

"Damon." Samantha called.

"Yes?"

"Goodnight." She said. I faked a smile close the elevator. I won't go with Karina tomorrow.  She'll be fine on her own.

###