Chapter 29

"She was a friend to all, a star on the field, and a great older sister." McKenzie said, dabbing a tissue by her eyes. "She was the glue to this family, and without her, we fell apart." she sniffed and shuffled her note cards. I could tell that she was trying to buy more time. "May God rest her soul, she had a whole life planned out far, but was gone too soon. Thank you."

McKenzie stepped down from the stage of the chapel, trying really hard to hold back tears. I walked up to her as she came over to our benches and hugged her tightly. I started to shed some tears myself.

Today was Shelby's funeral, and burial. Still however, I just couldn't believe that she was gone. Gone from my life forever.

My family was sitting in the front row, and each of the five of us had a short speech planned. Next was me. I got up from my seat, and made my way to the stage.

"Ahem." I said, scanning the audience for the boys. I finally saw them in the far back, all dressed in black.

"Some of you know me as a friend." I said, looking at Jordyn and her mom and dad in the front row next to us. "Some of you know me as a sister, now the oldest sister." I looked at my family. "Some of you might know me best as a competitive figure skater." I looked around the room. "And five of you know me as your littlest sister." I said, eyeing the boys. "and you are all right."

Mom started sniffing.

"I am known for many things, but my sister, was known only for a few things, which makes her the special one in this family. She's known as the oldest Evans daughter, the soccer star, and as always, a great friend." I looked over at Shelby's friends, all tearing up badly. Shelby's crazy boyfriend didn't show up. I was glad, and mad at the same time. Maybe they broke up?

"But today is the day we focus on my sister, the one and only, Shelby Evans. She has accomplished more in her short life than anyone could dream of." I felt more tears coming. I slowed my speech to let things sink in. "She followed her passions and dreams to become one of the few pro women's soccer players. Even that is an accomplishment in itself." Shelby's soccer coach was also here, and he was hacking a storm in the back of the church.

"So let Shelby's passing be a reminder to you all," I began. "that you have the power to accomplish anything you want if you put your heart and soul into it." my voice began to crack as the priest walked onstage with a special plaque. I took it from his hands and held it up.

"Shelby Evans." I said, slowly raising the pitch of my voice. "August 30th, 1992 to December 24th, this year." I held the plaque higher. "To the dreamer, and doer." Some people began to clap and stand up. Frankly, I didn't know what to do, so I began crying. I looked down at my black lace dress and cardigan, then just let the tears fall.

------------

"I'm so sorry, love." Said Louis, giving me a bear hug in the reception hall. The rest of the boys were lined up behind him.

"Thank you for coming with me." I said, choking on the words. Lou patted my back, and walked towards my mother.

"Here you go." said, Zayn, giving me a tissue.

"Thank you." I said, wiping my face. "I'm very thankful that you guys came." Zayn gave me a hug. Then, he touched the heart charm on my necklace that the boys gave me on Christmas.

"Always remember." he said, pressing it against my warm skin.

"Till death do we part." I recited, looking into his gorgeous brown eyes. I was so jealous of his girlfriend. Zayn gave me another hug. "We will ALWAYS be here for you, weather you like it or not." he whispered.

"I guess there's no escaping it then." I said, chucking through my tears. Zayn smiled as he walked over to Louis.

Next was Niall. I grabbed onto him first. "Just...thank you." I said, in his ear. I held onto him for a bit, till he patted my back. I really didn't want to let go though. He was my last line of defense I had between being consciously alone and understood. He was my safeguard. Alas, I let him go, my eyes just welling up with more tears. Suddenly, Niall placed his ACE-bandaged arm on my shoulder, then leaned in, and kissed my tear-streaked cheek.

"You're welcome." he said, walking ahead of me.

"I'm really sorry." said Liam, giving me a giant warm hug. I sniffed.

"I know." I said. "It's going to be a tough few weeks for me."

"Let me know if I can be any help, AT. ALL." Liam looked me sternly in the eye. He can be very stubborn sometimes.

"Thanks." I said, smiling.

Finally, Harry came up to me. His head was down. He seemed unsure of what to say.

"...I..."

I looked at his big green eyes. They seemed troubled. I KNEW Harry was hiding something.

"Yes?" I asked, in a less sad tone; interested in what he was going to say.

"I just..."

I blinked.

"Um..."

Finally, Harry decided to hug me. He just reached his arms out and embraced me, pulling me close to his warm chest. He then began to sob.

I knew the boy had some sentimental value in him, I just never saw him like this before.

"Why am I even crying?" he asked while still sobbing.

"Because you care." I said, answering his own question. I touched his nose. "And that is a good thing."

Harry looked at me in the eyes for moment; not crying. I realized though, I thought too soon, because right after I thought that, he burst into tears again, and pinned me against his rib cage. I didn't mind- it was for a mutual reason. If it was different though, I would've been a bit more concerned.

"I love you." I said into his ear. "So stop crying. You didn't loose a person who loves you."

"Me too." said Louis, coming over and hugging us two. "I love you too, Harry."

Harry gave Louis a weird look.

Suddenly, I felt arms around my waist. Niall joined the hug too. "I love all of you!" he said, in tears. Next, Zayn and Liam joined, both telling us the password-that they loved us, although we never asked for a password-and wrapped their arms around Niall and Harry. It was one big hug, and it felt warm, and protective. I was glad to have these guys on my side.