Chapter 2 - Two Sides of a Coin

Start from the beginning

Gwenwyn let her brothers learn the skills that she yearned to study, she behaved the way her parents and her governess expected, she kept her emotions locked away and she followed orders.

In return, once a month for a few brief hours, Gwen allowed herself to run free.

She finished the sweet roll, crumpled the paper into her satchel, and sighed dejectedly.

It was time to return.

Gwen walked towards the small spring and carefully cleaned most of the dirt from her feet, while being cautious in keeping the rest of herself dry.

Then, she walked back to the tree, and stashed her satchel and worn cloak deep into its hollowed out base.

"Next month." She promised the tree, already dreaming about the feel of the wind against her skin as she walked away.

Eventually she reached the palace lawns.

Now, in only her nightdress, Gwen strolled through the gardens, her posture perfectly mimicking what Aguth deemed appropriate, and waited until one of guards found her 'sleepwalking' again.

She could never get her feet completely clean of the dirt, and had started to get suspicious looks from her ladies in waiting.

So one night, three-and-a-half years ago, she easily by passed the predictably stationed guards and wondered across the palace lawn until they came and 'woke' her up.

She made sure to escape her room at least once a week so that the guards didn't become suspicion of her monthly escapade. Some nights she waited for a shift change, so it took them longer to find her. Other nights she barely left her bedroom before she was politely escorted back.

As luck would have it her maternal grandfather had also suffered from sleepwalking.

Her parents had tried everything to cure her of her hereditary illness. None of the charms hanging over her bed, or medicines that the doctors forced down her throat did any good.

At one point she was locked her into her room. It worked for a few nights, but when Princess Gwenwyn nearly slept walked out of her window they realized that it would be best to let the guards simply escort her back to her room.

~~~ One Week Later

"My dear I would like you to give me your definition of the word hero." Her father instructed.

Gwenwyn stood motionless at the door of her father's study, and she forced herself to remain motionless until he fully invited her in.

"A hero," she said keeping her back straight and her voice flat, "is a man willing to put the needs of others above his own."

"Name a hero."

Stories of pirates and noble peasants filled her head but she bit back her tongue and instead answered. "My King, you are a hero, for you put the needs of your people above all else."

He smiled eagerly at her answer, but she did not return it.

'A Princess must never reveal her emotions.' Aguth's withered old voice reminded her.

Her father motioned for her to come in further. He even offered her the courtesy of sitting in a small chair by the always-lit fireplace.

Gwenwyn nodded her thanks, and sat on the very edge of the small chair so that she wouldn't be enticed to slouch. She placed her hands lightly into her lap and waited patiently for her father to speak.

King Heralf took his time.

He pulled a pipe from his drawer, lit it and inhaled deeply. Although it was considered ungentlemanly to smoke in the presence of a female, Gwenwyn knew that, as King of Rramnon, her father could do as he very well pleased.