Bucky Barnes x Male!Reader (Shot)

[Male name] padded along, trying to make as little noise as possible. Every kicked pebble, every uncontrolled breath seemed to be thunderous in the near empty warehouse. He was sure that they were being watched, and every time sounds of battle got through the comm into his ear, he jumped at the loudness of it. He was way too jumpy for an Avenger.

He had a bad feeling about this mission from the start. Everything about it, down to the words on the documents, screamed 'TRAP'. Still, even after he, Bucky, and Natasha had voiced their concerns, the others had won, and insisted that they go and rescue the 'hostages', and reap whatever information there was to get along the way. [Male name] suspected that Tony had argued so forcefully because Bucky was on their side.

[Male name] crept around a large wooden crate, using it to shield himself momentarily. He scanned the surrounding area, squinting at the catwalks that crisscrossed the air above him. The ceiling of the warehouse was abnormally high, and due to the time of day, there were some parts of the catwalks that were completely cast in shadows. That was not good. He squinted, trying to spot the telltale glint of a sniper rifle, but he saw nothing. Still, he felt unfriendly eyes on him, like he was a target about to be preyed upon. He silently cursed Tony.

A pebble skidded across the cement floor, and [Male name] stifled a gasp. He whirled around, only to see Bucky a couple meters behind him. The former assassin smiled slightly. He looked around cautiously, before sneakily stepping into the shadow of the wooden crate and sliding next to [Male name]. A burst of static came from the comm, making [Male name] wince. Sounds of battle were heard, and the sound of Steve's shield clanging against someone bounced around in their skulls.

"Sorry, everything's okay over here!" Steve shouted, before the comm cut off and they were met with silence once more.

Well, isn't this going well? Bucky signed with his hands. The two had decided to learn sign language whilst facing weeks of boredom in the new Avengers facility. They found that it would be a useful communication tool incase they couldn't risk speaking into their comms. It would also be pretty helpful if Clint's hearing aids ever ran out of batteries.

Yeah. Totally. [Male name] signed back with a roll of his eyes. Bucky stifled a small chuckle. In the time that he had spent with both Steve and [Male name], Bucky found himself smiling and laughing more and more. In return, his presence made [Male name] feel more relaxed if he ever felt stressed.

We should get going, Bucky signed, giving [Male name] a withering scowl after he nearly laughed. He smiled again immediately after. [Male name] nodded, not really noticing the scowl or the smile as he looked at the catwalks again, his brows furrowing. He really didn't like this. He glanced at the wide metal doors at the other end of the warehouse, where the hostages were supposedly held. He looked back at the catwalks. Maybe he was just being paranoid... He signaled at Bucky to get ready.

Quick as a flash, [Male name] noiselessly slipped from behind the crate into the shadow of another. He let out a small sigh of relief. He turned around and saw Bucky preparing to do the same. Just as he stepped out of the shadow, [Male name] saw it.

A few yards to their left, coming from one of the catwalks, something metal and black glinted. [Male name] dove forward and covered Bucky just as the trigger was pulled.

Fiery pain erupted in [Male name]'s back as his knees buckled. He hissed in pain, tears springing to his eyes as gunfire rang around the vast room. A strong arm wrapped around his chest, dragging him behind the cover of another crate as the gunfire continued to be exchanged. Soon, the room was silent once more.

"[Male name], [Male name]!" a gruff voice muttered frantically. Two hands, one metal and one flesh, grasped at his face, then moved down to his back. [Male name] cried out in pain when Bucky accidentally brushed the wound, his hands coming away dripping with blood. Bucky swallowed as his lunch threatened to make an appearance.