Chapter 1 - A Princess Must-

This is the ONLY Author's Note in the whole story.

Please take the time to read it.

This story is a prequel to the already finished Simple Servant. If you have already read Simple Servant, please refrain from posting any comment that may give away some of the plot twists in this story.

There is currently NO glossary for this story, I shall relay on you, the readers, to let me know if the pronunciation of certain words or names are needed.

This is the ONE time that I will request comments for this story. Ragged Royals is currently being written. This means that it is NOT edited nor will it be until it is finished. Because of this I would appreciate for you, the readers, to post anything that may come to your mind about the story. If you see a mistake, or a character flaw, if you like what you read, or if you hate where it is going...PLEASE tell me. I need the feed back.

Please enjoy,

Dragon_Dame

Chapter 1 – A Princess Must-

Little Gwen pushed her curly blonde hair out of her face and raced as fast as she was able to towards her mother's bedchamber. Her mean and terrible governess, Aguth, was chasing after her calling for her to slow down but excitement fueled Gwen's little legs and she sped off even faster.

She released a giggle as her feet padded across slate floors and lush carpets. It was late December and a cold wind blew throughout the castle, but she didn't feel a thing.

Gwen's slippers slid across the tile as she rounded the last corner before her mother's bedroom. She smiled up at the dark stained doors that towered above her, and released a happy squeal.

"I want to see him," she cried cheerfully towards the two guards stationed at the entrance.

They predictably ignored her. Royal Guards never spoke to her, and they hardly ever moved. She loved racing down the hall trying to catch them during their rotations, before they became lifeless statues again.

She tried to stay still and wait like a proper princess, but she soon gave up and fidgeted impatiently with her blonde curls until the evil Aguth finally caught up with her.

"My dear," the old woman huffed while she flattened out her hair, "how many times must I tell you, a Princess must-"

"-never run." Gwen finished automatically.

"Precisely." Aguth's dry wrinkled hand grasped onto her little wrist firmly. "Now come along." She ordered. "We must return to your lessons.

"But I want to see him." She whined as her feet fought helplessly against the pull of her governess.

Aguth turned suddenly and looked at her firmly. Her callous eyes were sunken into her old weathered face, and all hints of a smile had vanished long ago.