Chapter 29~ Answers

The feelings of guilt and shame still weighed heavily on my mind even hours later when I'd lost track of time and location.

I'd wandered up countless sets of stairs, through infinite hallways and around more corners than I cared to count. Slowly I'd lost myself inside the school. I assumed I was on the top floor, or one close to it, I wasn't sure how many more stair cases their could've possibly been left to climb at this point.

Whatever floor I was on could only be described as forgotten; a ghost town of sorts. I was alone with silence and dust swirling through the air as light from the high up window illuminated it. I leaned back against the wall, breathing slowly and feeling the lines of tears that still carved their way down my face.

As I sat in remorse filled silence, quietly trying to slow the tears to a stop, I heard heavy footsteps in the distance. Maybe a hall or two away. I took a deep breath and sniffled, drying my eyes and hoping I'd look somewhat okay and less miserable by the time the owner of the footsteps reached me.

Standing up, I smoothed out my hoodie and was preparing to explain that I was fine to whatever random student was wandering around the deserted floor.

As the person rounded the corner, my heart dropped to hatred and my jaw locked as my eyes narrowed and I resisted the urge to punch his despicable face.

The owner stood before me, as uncaring as ever to the pain and desolation he was causing within his school.

"Leave me alone." I demanded firmly, crossing my arms over my chest and glaring.

"Oh come now," he chuckled as if taking my statement as a joke, "you're quite bitter for a winner."

"I'd rather have never played." I combated, never changing the expression of loathing on my face.

"Well, that's not what happened," he gave a completely carefree smile in response to my comment about his murderous game. A smile that only someone horrible could deliver without then hating themselves entirely, "so cheer up, I've come to ask that you come with me. I believe you are deserving of some long sought answers."

That sparked my interest and I agreed hesitantly to accompany him to the basement.

/*\*/*\*/*\*/

I couldn't help having memories come rushing back as I went down the basement stairs. I thought of the first time Dan, Carter, May and I had ever been down there together.

Taking a seat on the edge of leather chairs they used for "punishment" I listened very uninterestedly as the owner gave a very short speech of congratulations to me.

"Congratulations Annabelle, despite all odds and complications," he cast a sideways, almost accusing, glance at Jett, who was standing silently at the bottom of the stairs, before continuing the rather dismal pleasantries,"you managed to out-strategize and beat out all three of your opponents. I have to say I'm impressed, I would have predicted you succumbing to Carter's clever tricks. But as luck, or maybe it was skill, would have it... here you are alive and well."

Well? That's arguable. I thought in silent disagreement.

I sneered at his congratulations, still feeling guilty and upset, "This was one competition I would almost have preferred to have lost."