Chapter 19~ oppontents

My week went by in an uneventful blur. Classes and homework took up most of my time. I hated homework.... And school...

But then again don't most teens?

I tried desperately to stay awake as my English teacher droned on about our upcoming essay and how much it would effect our grades and yada yada yada.

"As if I care." I mumbled quietly as my mind wandered to other subjects. School subjects weren't included in the places my mind had drifted though.

My brain was occupied with mysteries and trying to solve them, a billion questions had me puzzling all week. Who is Carter really? How does he know me? Who are my opponents? Am I friends with them? Enemies?

There were so many other questions and don't even get me started on Jett and how much he confused me. Jett and the entire game were a bundle of mysteries that seemed to be lurking, waiting to be solved.

But would solving them actually solve my problems or only create more? After all, ignorance is bliss.

"Ms. Perry." The teacher gave me a pointed look as I shook my head and blinked a few times.

"Huh?" I replied, clearing my head and attempting to focus on what he was saying. He motioned to the door, I slowly began to turn, fully expecting to see a principal or something here to punish me for daydreaming in class.

When my stare finally landed on the door, it wasn't who I'd expected but I wasn't surprised.

Jett stood in the door frame, leaning against it with a half serious half smirking look. The teacher beckoned me to go with Jett and I reluctantly stood up and walked to the door.

I guess whatever Jett had planned was better than English class, though something in my mind told me it was far worse.

We walked to the familiar basement door that I'd grown to hate, the only sound being that of our footsteps.

He pulled the door open gesturing for me to go first. With a wary look, I descended the steps till my feet made contact with the basement floor. But I wasn't alone this time.

A bronzy redhead with serious blue eyes sat perched on one of the leather chairs, looking infuriated and hateful. Her sleek reddish hair falling slightly into her face.

She wasn't the only one here either, in the far corner Carter leaned against the wall, partly immersed in shadows, his arms crossed over his chest and one leg bent so that his foot pushed against the wall. He nodded at me in greeting as I returned the look.

I strode over to an empty leather chair, cautiously eyeing the wrist restraints and keeping my hands far from them.

Everyone stayed silent, the basement quiet enough to hear a pin drop. Though a pin drop wasn't the noise that disturbed the silence, instead it was the booming sound of the basement door being flung open and of two men arguing fiercely.

Heavy footsteps echoed in strange sequence as the arguing drew closer. The two came into view, the first being the owner and the other being dan.

The owner had his hand clamped onto dan's bicep, forcefully pulling him along as Dan struggled against him.

"What the hell!" Dan yelled angrily as he yanked against the owner, writhing and squirming to get out of his hold but the owner had a grip of steel, "I don't want to play your game asshole!"

The owner wore a calm look, ignoring dan and his protests as he forced him into a chair and locked the wrist restraints.

Grunting and sighing with an almost growl like tone full of rage, Dan kept his glare fixed on the owner.