Chapter 27~ Stealth

Larissa was bound and determined to figure out who's hoodie it was. She pestered me with questions whenever she spotted me. I always just stated simply that it was mine before shaking my head as she'd turn away to continue her search. At least she was keeping busy.

I, on the other hand, didn't have as much of a laughable task. Constantly, I was looking over my shoulder just praying I wouldn't see Carter. A small part of me may also have been hoping to see Jett since he seemed to have all the answers to everything whenever I ran into him.

Though he didn't always give a clear answer. But I hadn't seen him since his rushed departure after the night he'd saved me. It'd been a week. Which, in all honesty, wasn't that long since he usually only showed up about once a month or every few weeks. But it felt longer after having talked to him more genuinely.

My mind was never able to get stuck on wondering about that for too long though, because my thoughts would wander to what could've happened had he not saved me. And eventually I'd just end up thinking of the many ways I could still get killed. I was only getting more nervous and paranoid.

Sitting alone in my dorm, I heard the door opening and closing and cautiously called out, "Larissa?"

"Yeah?" Her voice sounded out in reply.

I breathed a sigh of relief and relaxed, "Just wanted to make sure I'm not deft yet."

My door swung open and Larissa arched a brow at me quizzically, "Really?"

"What did you think I was up to?" I challenged, half joking and momentarily pretending that my life was normal.

She shrugged, pulling on a completely fake look of innocence, "Getting hoodies from good smelling boys..." A smirk found its way onto her face and I bust out laughing.

"Yes, cause I spend all my time robbing nicely scented boys of their hoodies." I added sarcastically as I continued to laugh.

Larissa laughed along with me, continuing, "I mean it sounds like a pretty fun hobby..."

"You should try it." I suggested with another chuckle, smirking at her, "Might like it."

She wiggled her brows suggestively at me before heading back out of my room. Probably off to go smell more very surprised and uncomfortable people. I could only imagine the looks on people's faces as a pretty blonde girl ran up, smelled them, and then left.

/*\*/*\*/*\*/

Larissa practically drug me to the cafeteria for lunch even though I told her I wasn't hungry. My stomach disagreed with me on that, but I really didn't want to be out in the open for any reason.

Though once Larissa had decided on something, come hell or high water she would make it happen. So I gave in, there was no point in trying to persuade her.

The cafeteria was abuzz as usual and packed with students chatting loudly. We sat at our usual spot and I tried to relax as I bit into my grilled cheese sandwich.

I stopped mid bite and nearly dropped my sandwich as I locked eyes across the cafeteria with none other than Carter Kingsley.

I thought for sure he'd get up and come over to end the game, possibly drag me off to my death or any number of other horrible things. But he didn't move an inch, he looked away and continued eating

Breathing a sigh of confused relief, I didn't know why he did nothing but I wasn't going to push my luck by asking him.

"Larissa, I don't feel good, I'm gonna go back to the dorm." I said in a hazy, distant tone as I got up and walked out of the cafeteria, glancing over my shoulder as I went.

Carter made no move to follow me, and I continued to eat my sandwich as I kept walking.

Halfway back to my dorm, a horrific thought dawned on me. My weapons were all still in my back pack...

In Carter's dorm.

Well damn, that'll be interesting to get back, I thought in dismay, but I need them to win. I have to get them. He's at lunch now, though. Maybe I could brake in and get back out before he comes back. Probably my only chance.

Sucking in a deep breath, I turned around and headed towards Carter's dorm, all the while praying he was a slow eater.

No one was in the halls, everyone was at lunch so no one was there to stop or question me. I paused in front of his door and stood staring for a long moment.

My fingers curled around the door knob, even though I knew it'd be locked I tried turning it anyway just to be sure. It was locked, obviously he wasn't stupid enough to leave it open.

Lucky for me I'd left a few Bobby pins in my hair and knew how to pick a lock from all my "delinquent days" getting kicked out of school after school.

The familiar click came from within the knob as I twisted the pin and turned the handle. The door swung open and I crept in slowly and quietly, closing it behind me.

I glanced around, getting my bearings and trying to remember where my backpack had been.

I did a 360, looking all around me before zeroing in on a rack of coat hangers. Dangling from a hook next to a few jackets was my backpack.

Sighing I grabbed it and slung it over my shoulder. Taking a few steps back toward the door I almost grabbed the door handle when it started to turn and panic seized me. I jumped back behind the opening door, and held my breath as Carter walked in.

I couldn't tell whether my heart was pounding or if it had stopped entirely, I bit my lip silently swearing to myself.

As the door started to close and Carter walked toward the bean bags, I caught the edge just barely and slipped out, crawling as to not be seen, I quietly closed the door behind me.

Letting out the breath I'd been holding, I dropped down against the hallway wall and steadied my breathing. That'd been close, thankfully he wasn't as paranoid as me and didn't expect anything to be going on.

After sitting for a few minutes to calm down, I pulled myself to my feet and headed quickly back to my dorm.

Now that I had my weapons back, it was game on and time to come up with a good plan. Larissa was still at lunch, so I had the dorm to myself. It was silent as I sat down on my floor and began to form a strategy.