Chapter 23~ Games afoot

It had to be a trick. From the very little I knew about Carter, this was vastly out of character. He was always cryptic and mysterious, endlessly playing little games. For the most part he was like a handsome and mysterious stranger; like someone you would see at a millionaires party but never really get to know.

What on earth would possibly bring someone like him to just randomly drop his secretiveness and just say that I'd won. He also didn't seem the type that likes to lose at anything. So admitting that was highly unusual.

The only logical conclusion I could draw was that's it's a trick. It had to be! Right? Maybe...
Everything had just been confusing me lately.

Carter was confusing me, as well as Jett who was making a habit out of randomly appearing and occasionally kissing me before vanishing again. My head hurt trying to figure my life out at the moment. The only people who weren't adding to the tangled mess inside my head were Larissa and Will.

Finally, I spoke, voicing my conclusion as I shook my head, "No, you don't."

"Yes, I do." Carter countered, sighing as he ran a hand through his ridiculously perfect hair.

"Liar." I shot back immediately, "you're just trying to trick me so you can get rid of me after May."

His brows furrowed in shock and disgust, "no I'm not! If I were trying to get rid of you I already would have. I really like you Annabelle."

I arched a brow, unconvinced, "don't think so."

Carter shrugged, "you can believe what you want, but I'm telling the truth." He smirked a bit, amusement lighting up his eyes, "not my problem that you're giving up all of this." He gestured to his shirtless chest that I had to admit was pretty nicely toned.

Chuckling, he winked at me, grinning and seemingly genuine. But I was still hesitant to believe it. Besides, I already had a boyfriend.

Quickly rolling my eyes, I got up and started toward the door, "I'm meeting May at 6:30 in front of the school tomorrow so you'd better be there."

He nodded, following me to the door. As I opened it and started to walk out, he caught me worst and pulled me toward him a bit.

"Good luck," he whispered into my ear before kissing my cheek and pulling back, "see you in the morning."

I nodded and quickly left, feeling myself blush and hating it. I didn't like him! I refused to! But he was just so mysterious and always surprising that part of me was intrigued and drawn to him. Though most of me, the smart part of me, repeatedly declared that I felt nothing. And I couldn't agree more.

Though my red cheeks and quickened pulse challenged that decision.

Rolling my eyes I told myself again that it was probably just a trick and not to fall for it. Turning the corner, I kept walking toward my dorm, trying to bury everything that was puzzling me at the moment.

Desperately, I tried to focus entirely on my black converse as I walked down the hall. But my mind was still whirling and trying to process everything that'd happened since I'd come back to Finland. If only I could've stayed with Chris forever and not had to be involved in this school's sick games.

For the life of me I couldn't manage to put all the perplexing thoughts to the back of my mind. They kept coming up again and boggling me further. Then I bumped into one of them. Just my luck, huh? I seemed to have an uncanny talent for bumping into things.