Chapter 13~ adrenaline rush

You can't run forever, the irritatingly creepy voice of my pursuer reminded me.

Wanna bet?! I thought in my most determined mind tone, projecting my inner voice back at him.

There was no response, thank god, but I kept running none the less. To where? I hadn't the slightest clue.

Eventually as we continued winding through the halls, I got an idea.

It wasn't as useful as I thought though, because I slowly realized we were already trying it. The idea was to run around turning corners until we lost him but we'd be running nearly 20 minutes now, doing just that, and he was still on our tail.

I could hear the pounding breath of Chris and Alec on either side of me as we kept running. If it weren't for a beautiful thing called adrenaline I'd have passed out by now.

Thankfully, Alec and Chris had a better idea.

"New plan," Chris announced as we ran, "keep running but we're gonna wind our way back to the entrance and run outside and escape."

"Run to my car and we can drive away." Alec added as we began turning intentional corners leading back to the entrance.

I nodded and let them take the lead. Within a few minutes of winding turns we reached the conclusion that we didn't know how to get back to the entrance.

For all we knew, we could've been farther away by now.

"Turn left!" Chris yelled out as we reached the end of a hall.

Nurses and doctors scrambled out of the way casting us dark glares.

I glanced at Chris and Alec as we ran and happened to notice Alec's face light up like a Christmas tree.

"I remember this hallway!" Alec announced as we barreled down the hall, "I know the way to the entrance, TURN RIGHT!"

We screeched to the right, barely making the turn without ramming into the corner.

Alec shouted directions at each hallway intersection, in about 3 minutes I could see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Or in this case the entrance at the end of the hall.

We slammed through the entrance doors, bursting out into the cool night air.

Alec fumbled with his keys as we ran, unlocking the car just as we reached it. We hopped in, slamming the doors shut as Chris and I simultaneously yelled, "DRIVE ALEC!"

Flooring the gas pedal, Alec zoomed out of the parking lot just as a our pursuer burst out the entrance.

I heaved a sigh of relief, leaning back against the seats as my adrenaline ran out, leaving me with aching legs and a very insistent need to sleep.

My head fell to the side as Alec turned on the radio and I dozed off.

❂ Chris's POV ❂

I looked back with a smile at belle who'd fallen asleep in the back seat of my bro's vintage Ford Mustang.

She looked so at peace, you know, not running for her life or anything.

My eyes turned back to front, staring out the windshield, "thanks bro."

Alec glanced at me with an arched eyebrow, "why?"

I shrugged, I wasn't entirely sure but I felt the need to thank him, he always seemed to show up just when I needed him even though I never did for him.

"I don't know, I guess, just for putting up with me and helping me out when I need it. Even if I hate the idea of needing help." I admitted, giving him a sincere smile.

"No problem, that's what brothers are for." he nodded, keeping his eyes on the road.

Nodding, I went back to watching the cars zip past us. City lights started to glow as the sun sank lower in the now gray sky.

I heard a slight snore from the back, I glanced back at belle who was peacefully sleeping. She was adorable when she slept.

Alec and I said nothing as we drove down the road to god knows where.

❣Annabelle's POV❣

My short sleep was interrupted by the car screeching to a halt. Snapping my eyes open I glanced out the wind shield.

It appeared to be construction blocking traffic, but I couldn't see any equipment, only the workers.

No escape, the voice boomed in my head, I shrieked in surprise, locking my gaze onto one of the workers.

It was the man who'd chased us through the hospital, and he'd somehow managed to beat us here.

Chris and Alec stared at me, asking in sync, "what happened?"

"The v-voice," I stared at the penetrating eyes of our reappeared pursuer, "its back, he's here."

"Where?" Chris asked in a concerned tone, searching the group of people workers.

"In the middle," I pointed toward the man as I realized the workers were walking toward us, "Alec, DRIVE!"

Alec stepped on the gas roaring forward as the group of workers scattered momentarily before realizing what was happening and sprinting after us.

How the hell were they keeping up?!

I glanced at the speedometer reading 60 mph, no one runs that fast! How the hell?!

As I watched them chase us I noticed that not only were they keeping up, they were closing the gap between us.

"Shit," I swore under my breath, "Alec, faster!"

The car revved, pushing up to 70 mph but still not managing to lose the group of "workers".

We're too fast to escape, the voice spoke in my head, you can't win.

I groaned, trying to push the voice out of my head but at the same time wondering where their scary speed had been when they were chasing us through the hospital.

The voice continued to repeat that we couldn't escape, the voice grew louder and louder, making my head spin.

YOU CANT ESCAPE! The voice yelled in my mind with the thought volume of a bull horn next to my ear.

My head spun with extreme dizziness before I fell unconscious.

A/N:
So sorry about not updating in forever, I've had really bad writers block on this story. I know this chapter was pretty short, sorry, but I'll try to update sooner now.