Chapter 18~ on edge

With a shudder of fear, I stood up unsteadily and climbed the stairs. Jett was no where to be scene, which still puzzled me, I had no idea how we had gotten to the basement in the first place.

As I walked down the halls, heading back to the party, I couldn't help glancing over my shoulder to make sure there was no one there.

I twisted the door nob, slowly slipping back inside and disappearing into the massive crowd the was currently occupying my dorm.

"Ah so you must be the lovely Annabelle," I heard someone from behind me, I whirled around and found myself face to face with someone I'd never seen before in my life, "I've heard so much about you."

My brows furrowed a slight frown crossing my face, "um, can't say I've ever heard of you..."

"Oh I wouldn't expect that you would." He answered with a smile that was charming yet at the same time not, "I'm Carter Kingsley."

"Annabelle Perry." I murmured as I gave him a once over.

He was tall, undeniably handsome in a somehow irritating way, his perfectly groomed and gelled dark chocolate colored hair matching perfectly to his hazel colored eyes. He was too perfect if you ask me...

Carter flashed a smile, showing off his perfect teeth emphasizing my previous notion of him being overly perfect, "nice to finally meet you, I expect we'll be seeing each other again soon, I look forward to getting to know you."

He turned to leave, but I wasn't quite finished, I wanted an interrogation of sorts, I wanted to know who he was and how he knew. I grabbed hold of his arm, luring him into my trap of endless questions, "why don't you get to know me now?"

Carter was hesitant, glancing at the door as if he had somewhere he should be, but his expression softened as if wherever he should've been going wasn't as interesting as my offer.

His tensed shoulders eased as he played right into my plan, "alright, tell me about yourself then."

I lowered my hand to his, pulling him father into the midst of the crowd hoping to get his guard down while keeping mine up.

"I'll tell you more about me if you tell me about you." I offered, holding onto his hand as I spun myself.

"Alright, you go first." He countered, showing that his guard was still fully intact.

I spun again, contemplating where to begin my plot to lower his guard. A crooked smile crossed my face as I decided on my starting point, "well, for starters, I like tall guys," I paused glancing into his eyes momentarily, "tall guys who have colorful eyes."

He gave a dry chuckle, tilting his head in a sort of respect, "a master of flattery and rhymes I see. I, however, like girls who don't keep me guessing."

His simple phrase said enough to tell me we were both playing games, trying to trick the other into divulging any form of important information. The question was, who was better at trickery.

"Touché," I replied, mimicking his head tilt, "I also like it when people are open and honest."

Carter arched an eyebrow in challenge, "interesting. I like to keep some things to myself."

My jaw tightened, he wasn't giving in, he was fully aware, as was I, of our conflicting schemes.

"Well, I would like to know who has been telling you about me." I stated, giving up the element of secrecy and openly asking what I'd been getting at.

His mouth twisted into a grin, "wouldn't you like to know."

"Yes, actually, I would." I countered, glaring slightly, slowing our dance to a stop.

Carter smirked, moving closer to whisper in my ear, "I like to keep things to myself."

I gave a sigh of frustration and took a step back, "fine. I'll be right back."

Turning on my heel, I headed to the counter where Larissa was perched, overlooking the party she'd coordinated with a content grin.

"Larissa, please tell me you went behind my back and bought vodka." I asked desperately, if getting him drunk was what it took to get answers then so be it.

Larissa gave me an elated smile, "glad your finally on board and of course I did."

I gave her a quick hug, "thank god! What would I do without you!"

"Stay sober?" She asked with a shrug as we both laughed.

"Probably," I grinned, "I need a shot of vodka and a shot of water."

Larissa arched an eyebrow in question, causing me to give her a pleading look, "please? Just trust me."

She sighed and hopped off the counter, pouring the drinks before handing them over to me.

"Good luck." She offered with a beaming smile as I gave a thumbs up and went back into the crowd to where carter was.

He raised his eyebrows in greeting as I approached, holding out the alcoholic liquid to him.

"Cheers." I stated simply, him murmuring it back to me before we both downed our shots. Though mine was only water.

"So what else should I know about you?" He asked before answering himself, "that your trying to get me drunk?"

"I am not!" I denied defensively, receiving a knowing smirk from carter.

"Sure you're not." He added sarcastically with a wink, "your turn to tell me something."

"Actually I think it's your turn." I countered evasively, an annoyed look slipping onto my face when a slow song began to play. Not doubt the work of Larissa.

"Fine." Carter agreed, placing his hands on my waist, "I like blondes."

I'm going to kill Larissa later! I thought angrily as I very reluctantly placed my arms around his neck, hating every second of the agonizingly slow song.

"I don't like slow songs." I informed him, giving a wry and sarcastic smile, "your turn."

"Alright," he moved his hands, spinning me slowly, "I know what tricks your trying to play."

I gritted my teeth, "ok, then let's cut the tricks, how the hell do you know me?"

"Hmm, demanding," carter assessed with an appraising look, "I like it."

"How do you know me!" I repeated, louder this time as I became more furious with his question dodging.

He leaned in, planting a swift kiss on my cheek before whispering, "I have to leave now."

And with that he walked away leaving me with my mouth hanging open and a look of how dare he present on my face. I stood there for a moment taken aback by him blatantly refusing to answer my question.

I huffed irritatedly before stalking to my room and sitting on my bed with folded arms.

Time passed unnoticed as I sat there in a dull rage, my arms still folded across my chest and my jaw firmly clenched.

Eventually the music faded out and I heard the chatter of people leaving. With a sigh I changed to my pjs and laid down, but I could sleep. I felt the need to be watching as if something may attack me the second I wasn't on edge. After hours of staring into the dark, my body refused to be awake any longer, sending me into an exhausted slumber.

A/N
Hey! Randomly felt like adding an authors note to this chapter. What do u guys think of the story so far? Comment/vote to let me know! What do u think of Carter, mysterious right? I went back to do some editing and noticed I kinda screwed up names a bit, I said matt instead of Max a few times, sorry if that confused you and I'm pretty sure I also said Switzerland instead of Finland a few times. So sorry, please comment if u spit some of these mistakes so I can fix them! But other than that, see us next time, byeeee!