imagine #30- Thomas (Prologue)

"Mummy where are we going?" my mother pulled me closer to her against the strong, icy wind as we walked on for what seemed like miles. 

"We are going to some people sweetheart." she picked me up to walk faster. I put my head into her neck to share what little warmth we had against the harsh weather. 

"Who are we seeing? Father?" I pulled my head up excitedly. She smiled sadly and pushed my head back gently and I wrapped my hands around her scarf. 

"These people we are seeing will help us," she said.

"Help us? How? Are we going to the doctors?" I asked curiously.

She shook her head "Honey, you know what Henry died of?" she said after a long pause.

I thought back to the years that we had spent with Henry and father.

He was my best friend. However, Henry used to hurt me. He was only 2 years older than me but he scared me. He would hit me, kick me and yell at me. One time he tried to attack me with a knife and mummy and daddy had to take him away. They told me he was ill and dangerous. 

I wasn't sad until they told me he died because of this disease. I know I am only 7 years old but I'm not dumb and in fact I am above the average level of intelligence of my age. So yes, I was sad about Henry dying because he was family. 

Daddy then had to leave me and mummy for work.

Mummy told me that Henry couldn't help what he was doing and we should forgive him. So I have.  

"He died because he was ill" I replied after a long time of thinking.

"Yes sweetheart, so these people will protect you from getting ill like he did. So you will be safe." 

I nodded and after about another 10 minutes of walking in silence we arrived to a large group of people. 

My mother put me down and crouched down to me so we were eye level. I could see she had been crying and more tears fell down down her face.

"Don't cry mummy" I said, and wiped them from her cheeks. She smiled at me. A genuine smile that made her eyes crinkle. But at the same time it was a sad smile. I don't like sad smiles. I frowned and she took my small cold hand in hers. 

"Y/N, I am so proud of you and always will be, okay?" more tears streamed down her face as did mine. "Promise me you'll be brave Y/N."

"I promise." I whispered. 

"I love you" she pulled me into a hug and I cried silently into her shoulder. I don't know what was happening but I didn't want mother to be sad so I had to be brave for the both of us.

"I love you too mummy" Pulled away from her. 

"Alright last ones in!" we heard a shout from one of the guards and people started moving faster around us in the mass of people. 

My mother bit her lip and released my hands to hurriedly look in her pockets for something. She frantically looked in her jacket until she pulled something out. It was like a small, wooden doll thing. 

She took my hand and closed my palm around it. "Keep this safe, okay?" 

I nodded. 

"If your ever scared, think look at this and think of me. Think of your family. You'll see us again one day"

"Mummy?" I asked as she stood up and pulled me to one of the guards. He picked me up roughly. 

"Mummy!" I cried thrashing about in the guards arms. 

She didn't move. She just stood there watching me being taken away. 

I stopped wailing and  quickly put the doll into one of my pockets so I didn't lose it. 

The guard started walking away. 

"M-mummy..." I whimpered and I was put into a van. I stood there breathing heavily and staring at the door until I saw all the children around me. They were all sat on the floor, some were crying and the others were cuddling each other. 

I had no one to cuddle. I only had my mummy but she has just gave me to people I don't know. 

I wiped my eyes hastily with my sleeve and reached for my wooden doll and held it to my chest .

 I didn't know what to do until I felt a tug on my coat. I spun round to a boy about my age sat there looking at me. He had dark brown hair and brown eyes. 

"Do you want to sit with me?" he looked as if he had been crying too but he had stopped now.

I looked at him warily but gave in. He smiled and moved over so I could squeeze in next to him. I sat down but not removing my hands from my chest. 

"Are you okay?" he said after a period of not talking. I shook my head. The van started to move and I was jolted toward him. I pushed myself of him. 

"Sorry," I whispered and looked down ashamed.

"It's okay," He smiled. 

I nodded and gathered up the confidence to speak. I took a deep breath "My name is Y/N." 

"I'm Thomas, but you can call me Tommy if you want." (I know that W.C.K.D give them these names but it would be confusing if I called them something different) 

"Okay...Tommy" 

He smiled and held my hand. I sniffed. "Can you be my friend?" he asked quietly. "I don't know anyone here"

I nodded and put my head on his small shoulders. I shut my tired eyes and hugged my doll, awaiting the journey ahead.

I was thinking about doing a part 2 for stages later on in there lives- like working at W.C.K.D and then to the glade? I think that would be cool. I just didn't do more in this one because it's really longggg. But yeah..comment what you think! Thankssssssssss (Thank you so much for 448 reads omg I cannot believe it I'm so happy!!!!! *breath* I know that in the wattpad world 400 reads is basically nothing. Like I'm a plankton and everyone are sharks in a sea. But 448 people reading MY stories is ALOT of people (for me anyway). So thank you so much! I love you all so so so much!!!)