Imagine #13- Newt (You have a nightmare)

You are running in the maze. It's dark. Almost pitch black. You don't know where you're running but it's leading to somewhere. There are voices in your head telling you to go back. You want to. But your body won't let you. It's like your brain has been taken over by something. Someone. You're legs are in pain. You want to stop but there is something coming for you. You are being chased by something. Someone. And you know it wont end well.

You turn a sharp corner.

And there it is.

A griever.

But it's not alone.

There is a figure in it's claws.

Newt.

You scream but no words come out.

Your legs are glued to the ground.

"Y/N!" he screams "Save me!"

"Newt!" you want to scream. Fend the griever away. But it ignores you and holds Newt tighter in it's metallic claws. He screams in pain.

"Y/N! Help me!" he screams.

"Y/N! Don't you love me?!"

"Y/N?" you are shaken awake.

You eyes shoot open and you are lying in your hammock, drenched in sweat and shaking. Newt is crouched by you, holding your hand.

"Newt.." you whisper

"Sssh..." he whispers back, stroking your hair.

"What...happened..?" you say breathlessly.

"You were screaming," he says calmly "You were having a nightmare"

"Newt, you were in trouble and I was so scared and-"

"Y/N, it wasn't real. It's okay. Your safe"

I'm not safe.I don't feel it at least.

"Thank you Newt," I say my eyes shutting slowly. He rubs circles with his thumb on my hand soothingly.

"Anything for you love," he begins to get up and walk back to his hammock.

"Newt, wait"

He turns around.

"Please, stay," I ask weakly. He smiles and walks over to the hammock. I shift over and he climbs in beside me, wrapping his arm around me. I rest my head on his chest and focus on his steady heartbeat in comparison to fast one. He strokes my hair and my eyes shut.

"Thank you," my voice is muffled in his shirt.

"Anything for you love," he whispers. I smile. "I'll protect you forever," was the last thing I heard before sleep took over me. And I do feel protected. More than I ever had.