“I know,” he said, shaking his head and scowling. “I can’t say I could blame you had it been for other reasons but don’t repeat that.” I smiled slightly, feeling some of the nervous tension drain out of me as my panic began to subside. “Do you need a ride home?” he asked just as a car pulled up and my three band mates climbed out of it.

“I’ll be fine,” I said and the cops filed into the station, leaving me on the sidewalk with my three confused friends.

“What happened?” Mac asked, stepping towards me and putting his hands on my arms, looking me over as if to reassure himself that I was okay.

“I’m off the hook,” I said grinning. I explained what had happened to them and who was responsible.

“I don’t usually hit girls but I might have to make an exception,” Mac growled, his gaze focused inward as he thought about Lisa.

I gave a tired sigh. “Don’t bother. She’s going to Alaska.” The three of them just looked at me with shocked expressions. “I need a ride,” I said as my eyes crossed from exhaustion. This day was just not ending and I needed to find a bed soon or else I was going to fall asleep standing up.

We all piled into the car and I drifted in and out of sleep while we drove, the guys talking about how crazy Lisa was and how excited they were about the meeting with Mike while I stayed silent.

We didn’t bother going to my apartment this time and just went straight to Mac and Dan’s house. Troy got into his car and gave us a wave as he drove away.

I walked up the driveway and felt an arm slip around my waist. I sent a grateful smile to Dan who grinned down at me.

I looked over to see Mac scowling at his brother. I felt a small, delirious smile curve my lips as I looked at him. “I know what you look like when you smile now,” I muttered, making him look down at me with a frown on his face.

“What are you mumbling about?” he asked.

“Never mind,” I said, turning my face forward as we made our way into the house and up the stairs. They showed me to the guest bedroom and Mac gave me a pair of sweat pants and a loose t-shirt to change into before leaving me alone.

I pulled his shirt over me and closed my eyes, feeling a stupid grin form on my face as his scent surrounded me.

I shook myself, realizing that I was standing in the middle of the room, sniffing the shirt I was wearing and made my way over to the bed. I was turning down the sheets when there was a knock on the door. “Come in,” I said, sitting on the edge of the bed.

Mac walked in with a glass of water in his hands. He only took one step before he stopped, his gaze wide as he looked at me. He swallowed and his Adam’s apple bobbed as his gaze traveled over me. “Rose,” he said, his voice hoarse.

“What?” I asked, looking down at myself, puzzled. My cheeks turned bright red when I realized that I’d forgotten to put on the sweat pants he’d given me and I was sitting there in his overlarge t-shirt and nothing on my legs. The shirt covered all the important bits but we both knew I wasn’t wearing any pants. “Oh my god,” I muttered. “Turn around.”

He complied, sloshing the water a little as he turned quickly. “I didn’t see anything,” he said, laughter in his voice.

“Shut up,” I replied, pulling the pants up over my hips and tightening the string.

“I think your shorts tonight showed more than I just saw,” he said, his voice choked as he tried to stop himself from laughing. “Your face was priceless.”