Chapter 25

The song up top was what I was listening to while writing this so feel free to listen to it while reading the chapter, it's also really short again sorry about that.

Any feedback then please comment just because I wasn't really comfortable with the layout of this chapter :)

Enjoy lovelies ❤️
~~~~~~~
~TWO WEEKS LATER~ (A/N: this is the second last major jump in this story,promise)

I had adjusted to the life of a runner and have partially gotten over my fear of the maze.

The month so far has been very eventful with the ups and downs the maze has given us has only made me stronger. Newt has become the keeper of the gardens and is still keeping his place as second in command, I've also been teaching Newt some archery skills which has been fun it's only been theory since he still has to use the crutches.

"That's your star" Newt says pointing to the bright star in the sky.

"And that's yours" I say pointing to the other bright star a few feet away from mine, we were sitting in the deadheads.

My head rested on Newt's chest. He felt warm on the cool night in the glade,

"Why are you so warm when I'm struggling to keep my hands warm?" I ask.

He chuckles and cups my hands in his, I look up at him with a smile, "Thanks" I answer quietly.

I look back up at the stars, "How was your fist day as a bloody runner?" He asked.

"Weird" I answer quickly,

"I found the plaque that my mind keeps showing me but there was a voice in my head and his name was Thomas, it was only an echo but it seemed real. He was talking to me" I look at the dark ground.

"That's bloody freaky"

"Not really I'm curious about it" I laugh.

Newt places a kiss on my temple which makes me look at him confused, "what, it's called a kiss" Newt smirks

"Ha ha I know what it's called but why?"

"Because you're cute"

Way to be cheesy Newt I thought but on the outside I was blushing.

I saw the glowing red eyes in the distance, looking and observing.

"Maybe we will find a way out" I blurt out, the beetle blades had me thinking.

"maybe the cliff?" I continued.

"Nah, have you seen that bloody cliff it's bottomless pit" Newt disagrees.

"I guess, but. A Griever jumped off the cliff"

"Maybe it was scared of you" Newt joked

"They're scared of nothing"

Newt chuckles, "we better head back" Newt says.

I check the watch on my hand that all runners receive, "yeah maybe we should" I smile.

I stand up and brush off all the leaves and twigs on my pants, I became quiet ask walked through the deadheads, Careful" Newt says, grabbing my hand and guiding me over a tree root sticking from the the ground.

I stop him and bend down to the tree root, "This is where I fell, running from the griever" there was a mark on the root which made it lighter than the rest.

I then recognised where the beetle  blade struck me, subconsciously touching my arm where a scar was now appearing,

"so many bad things happened to me in this forest" I shake my head, I slowly began to rise from the leafy ground to look at Newt who suddenly  pulled me into his arms.

My head lay on his chest and heard his heartbeat, "Don't think about those times, they were bloody awful and that shucking Griever wasn't real"

"But the two boys were" I say slowly.

"And they're bloody slintheads" Newt squeezes me tighter,

Newt lets go and gently holds my face before connecting my lips with his.

We moved in sync and my heartbeat quickened slightly, Newt pulled me closer, his hands moving to my waist. I placed my arms loosely over Newt's neck.

We part, clearly out of breath,
"I was lucky I didn't lose you any of the times the shuck creators tried to bloody kill you, Rose I love you and if something worse than this was to bloody happen I wouldn't be able to live with myself"

I stood there amazed could I say the words back, I didn't know if I could. When I didn't speak Newt grabs my hand and began walking again.

I think Newt was disappointed that I didn't say it back but I was debating weather or not I did, the answer seemed pretty clear but I wasn't sure. I didn't pull my hand from Newt's.

We got to the homestead and I was already in bed, I was looking up at the ceiling, "Newt?"

"Mmhm"

"I love you too"

"Do you mean it?"

I giggle, "definitely"