Chapter 8

Thank you luvbug_26 for your help on my publishing issues :) here is the chapter I fought so hard on publishing. Enjoy my lovelies ❤️

--------------
I yawn silently and move to my right towards the heat. I open my eyes and see a sleeping Newt, his arms wrapped around me. I freak and jump backwards falling straight off the bed, landing with a loud thud.

I spot Newt's head pop up over the edge of the bed with a worried look planted clearly on his face. "are you ok?".

I nod my head while rubbing my back and brushing off my clothes as I stand. Newt looked a little embarrassed realising he was in my bed, he scratched the back of his neck and smiled sheepishly.

It was just at this moment I wanted to laugh but once again took all of my strength not to. it was getting way too hard to keep up this stupid charade.

"um, lets go to breakfast" he says bolting from the bed. I smile and shake my head, how could this boy get any cuter?

did I just think that?

I walk out of the homestead and head for the kitchen where I grabbed an apple and some water. Newt waved his hand as I was about to find somewhere to sit, shrugging my shoulders I walk towards him, taking a seat across from him.

I take a bite from my apple while looking around the glade, out the corner of my eye I could see Newt staring at me, not to mention feel the gaze. Minho and Alby both sat down,

"what's up, shanks?" Minho says sitting down, I look back up at the three boys while munching on my apple.

"how's the life of a med-jack suitin' ya greenie?" Alby asks me.

I just nod my head and smile. Minho shovels down his food and stands up,

"Newt you're the slowest eater, hurry up we have to go" Minho groans.

Newt soon finishes his food and walks away with Minho to get ready to run into the maze.

"Should get goin' as well, stupid shanks are blind without me" he rolls his eyes and leaves the table. I soon get up as well, walking towards the homestead slowly.

There were still people scattered around the small wooden building, their chests rose and fell with every breath they took.

I took to the stairs and into the small supply room where Clint and Jeff kept the medical supplies. Clint had shown me the essentials they take out everyday to save having to walk back and forth continuously.

I set up for them and walk back to the room I shared with Newt. I grabbed my bow and arrows and walked to the deadheads with the bow slung across my chest. I look at the point of the arrows. they weren't the swish modern ones I would have imagined from my general knowledge, they had triangular tips and feather ends with a length of metal connecting the tip and feathers together.

I walk deeper into the deadheads until I find a tree with a thick enough trunk. I walk backwards until I was satisfied with the distance between me and the tree, I take on of the arrows while putting the rest by my feet, twisting to the side and spreading  my feet apart.

I lift the bow and the arrow already loaded in it, Pulling back on the string until the back of my hand brushes against my ear. I close my left eye and point the bow at the tree before letting go of the string. I shoot all the arrows into the tick trunk of the tree. I stare at the tree and at the arrows. my mind just wanders. I don't really think about anything.

After it felt like a few minutes I snap out of my daze, placing  a shaky hand to my head before retrieving my arrows.

A flash of red appears in the corner of my eyes. I slowly turn my head to the side to catch a glimpse of the creature. It was most definitely silver, it also resembled somewhat of a caterpillar with its many legs and long body. It looked to be at least ten inches in length and three inches in width. Letters were smeared in red on its back which spelt out WICKED it had to be short for something. You couldn't tell wether or not the red was blood or just red paint, preferably the second option. It's red eyes reminded me of when I got cut, this was probably what it was, Clint had called it a beetle blade.

I wasn't going to touch it this time, I most definitely  didn't want to get cut again. I walk backwards slowly while keeping my eyes on the beetle blade. I looked for a split second at my things so I could grab them. I looked back while collecting my arrows only to find the creature gone. I shake my head and walk back to the homestead, putting my bow and arrows back before finding Clint tending to a patients wounds which were minor, nothing serious yet.

"Hey, are you ok you look worried?" Clint asked glancing up at me before turning back to the patient,

"all done, try not to touch it or better yet, don't hurt yourself again" Clint smiles. The glader nods, says his thank you and walks out.

Clint cleans up before standing in front of me. " you don't look ok" he points out. I shrug and try to drop the subject by moving away and fixing up beds.

Jeff walks in,  "Hey everybody, all of two of them" Jeff laughs.

Ismile and shake my head at the worst joke in history.

Gally walks in with a deep cut on the back of his hand, I cover my mouth with my own hand before I rush over. He had a hold of his other hand underneath to catch any blood that dribbled off his wound.

I sit him on a bed so I could treat it before grabving a cloth and antiseptic,

"Hi greenie" Gally smiles sheepishly. I smile at him while cleaning up the blood with one side of the cloth, I use the other side to pour the antiseptic on the wound, He winces when I do. The cut spanned all the way across his hand, It looked deep.

I looked questioningly at him trying to silently ask how it happened. "Saw, and a dumb shank. I Was cuttin' a buggin' piece of wood and the dumb shank bumped me and the saw kind of...." He pointed to the cut.

I roll my eyes and nod my head. Gally chuckles,  I wrap a bandage around his hand and smile. " thanks" he ruffles my hair and walks out, I pout as I fix my hair.

While there were no patients that needed treating I braided my long hair down my left side. A little bit of a fringe dangled down my forehead, I thought about trying to talk, what would I sound like and how would people react. I trusted these boys now........ Well some of them I haven't met everyone, But I didn't find the need to observe anymore.

The sun had risen to the the middle of the sky signalling it was almost lunchtime. I looked out the window to see boys were making their way to the kitchen. I turn to Clint and Jeff, They both nod and the three of us leave for lunch, we were greeted by food god Frypan who gives us our food and smiles, I return it before walking off.

I walk around before sitting at a table which was soon joined by Gally and Alby.

"Hey greenie" Alby smiles. I felt if I smiled anymore my lips were bound to fall off, I was fed up with being mute. How did people deal with being mute? I look at my food and leave Alby and Gally to talk.

I hear things like, "the runners are due back soon" and something else about the greenie due up next month. I stand up after I was done and sit outside the homestead, picking off bits of grass and rolling it around in my fingers as I hum quietly to myself. I didn't even know if I could talk anymore But humming was a good sign.
~*~*~*~*~
I wait by the doors for the runners to come back,  Alby had told me which doors they would be emerging from.

The maze looked like a gloomy place, Three of the runners come out minutes apart. I spot Minho running towards the entrance. He runs a few inches past me and stops. He was cloaked in sweat and was panting like a dog on a hot day. I soon saw Newt run around the corner. He looked sad but quickly covered it up with a smile as he ran past the doors,

" hey greenbean" Newt greets.

I think I was beginning to like Newt. His blond hair and chocolate coloured eyes and his smile as well But he seemed to be hiding something deep behind the smile. Example? Just as he was frowning in the distance before smiling when coming through the the doors. I felt someone touch my arm and saw Newt,

You ok greenbean?" He asked curiously.

I stare off to the distance in the maze while nodding my head slowly in reply,

"Ok, well..... see you soon, have to map my section" he waves goodbye.

I walk back to the homestead, the noise of the doors closing was becoming a little more bearable I realise as my ear didn't wish to fall off anymore.

I sit on my bed and stare at a wall blankly. My legs were crossed and my hands gripped my knees. I closed my eyes and welcomed darkness, I just needed sleep.