Chapter 22

Another chapter, please vote and comment some feedback, I would really appreciate it

Enjoy lovelies ❤️
-------~~~-------
"What? why am I here then Alby and why have you been lying to every single person in the glade?" I question him.

My anger was slowly overpowering my curiosity as I grab a fistful of my shirt.

"Clam the shuck down, yes the maze has been fully mapped but with no way out. the runners continue to run in the maze so the rest of the Gladers don't lose hope, if the shanks lose hope we're all screwed" Alby explains,

"But you're in here for a different reason, the keepers and I have decided to make you a runner" he waited silently for me to make some sort of reaction, I was surprised that's for sure but I didn't know how to morph my amazement into a statement.

"What about my job as a medjack?"

"Clint said they can manage"

"But-"

"Shut your hole and accept it, Minho will start training you tomorrow" Alby shouts.

I walk out and tell myself not to speak a word to Newt, I despised the Maze. I don't want to remember what had happened that night, I didn't want to remember the Grievers or the stone walls or the darkness.

The only good thing that has happened to me so far was that I haven't blacked out in a memory or dream or whatever the hell it is.

I realised I was standing still just lost in my thoughts. Alby was standing in front of me with an eyebrow arched. I laugh nervously and begin walking.

"Rose?" I soon on my heels and hear dry leaves and twigs snapping under my feet "how's Newt?" Alby asks in a quiet voice

"Good no thanks to you" I reply in a harsh tone. I felt a little bad when those words flew from my mouth.

"You know I didn't shucking mean to-"

"I know what you didn't mean to do but it happened so just drop it, he's not angry at you" I snap.

Alby didn't answer, his head dropped,

"You're never going to shucking forget are you?" he finally said after a pause of silence.

"No, no one is ever going to forget but that doesn't mean you need to be so heartless" I reply coldly.

I begin walking away and I don't glance back even though I was itching to.

My eyes can't stop looking through the tall stone doors and into the horrifying Maze where I spent a full night even though Minho had told from the beginning that no one comes out alive after a night in the Maze.

"Hey Rose" Chuck greets. a face I hadn't seen in a while. "hey bud, how you going?"

"Bad, they decided my job" he says his voice quivering.

"What did you get?"

"A shucking slopper, worst job ever" Chuck kicks the dirt in anger.

I didn't know how to respond, I didn't want to make him feel worse,

"I'm sure that you're good at it" I try to cheer him up.

My plan wasn't working though, "Hey, being a med-jack ain't much fun either, well it wasn't" I sigh

"What do you mean?"

"Alby wants me-correction forced me to become a shucking runner" I clench my teeth

"Well, Minho has had trouble running two sections, I overheard them talking about it but why you?" Chuck asks. I shrug in response.

"Well it's better than my job" chuck frowns

"A lot more risk Chuck, you haven't ever been behind those doors" I remind him

"You have?" He asks, I nods,

"And that's why I know that if you don't make it back in time you're a goner, my survival was a shucking fluke"

"Yeah but you're here now" chuck smiles, "and that's the good part"

I ruffle chucks hair and watch as he swats my hand away with a pout, which quickly morphed into a smile, "That's more like it" I laugh.

I walked with chuck and we chatted which I hadn't done for awhile with him. I had also reminded him not to tell Newt about my new job, which seemed more like a death wish but at the end of the day someone had to do that job and that was the fittest and toughest.

Unfortunately those two qualities did not fit me at all.

Oh the flip side of becoming a runner I'll finally get a look at that plaque hopefully. I hadn't really told anyone about my strange dreams and the fact I blackout because of some of them.

Maybe they are memories but there's no way of knowing for sure.

I was sitting in the shade with Chuck which rescued us from the harsh sunlight. I rest my back against the tree, it was a quiet day and I finally realised the lingering pain in my stomach.

><*><*><*><

"Hey Clint, Jeff" I greet as I walk in.

"Hey"they reply,

"Ah, Gally wants to see you. Should I tell him you're busy" Clint says quietly.

My breath hitches in my throat, the last thing he said to me was that he hated me. I shake my head,

"I'll go see him"

I move past Clint, walk past Jeff and into where Gally was.

My hand hovers over the doorknob before I turn it and open the door. I close it behind me and step forward, Gally was asleep now. I turned on my heels before hearing the the bed where Gally was sleeping creak, I squeezed my eyes shut for a split second before speaking, "you're not asleep, are you"

"No" Gally answers flatly.

It was his voice but his emotion was wiped from his tone. I turned slowly to face Gally.

He was sitting upright on the bed but his normal facial expression was replaced with a cold hard stare,

"I'm guessing this wasn't going to be a sort of 'yay you're awake I have my friend back' sort of talk" I speak.

I immediately regret it because the next thing I know, Gally has me pinned to the wall with his hand gripped around my throat. I couldn't breath. Gally was breathing heavily as I was wheezing.

"Gally, stop your.... choking...... Me" I wheeze, my eyes plead for him to let go.

He soon realised what he was doing and released me. I fell to the floor and rubbed my neck, my throat beginning to throb as I swallowed my own saliva a few times.

"Do you even know why the shuck you're in this place?" Gally looks down at me.

My eyes were on the floor and watching Gallys' feet,

What..what are you talking about?" I question,

"You aren't here for the same reason that the rest of us are" I look up to see Gally shaking his head.

My eyebrows are knitted together with confusion.

"I came up the same damn box you did!" I raise my voice, I could feel my throat vibrating with anger.

"Yes but you had a choice, they told me in the dreams and in my memories. You were in them"

"Gally, who told you?"

"They told me that's why you came up with the supplies five minutes earlier than usual"

"Gally who told you this about me?"

"They said you couldn't live without him, he was why you're here"

"Gally! Who told you?" I yelled

"WICKED, WICKED told me!" He yelled