Chapter 16

I sat at the back of the homestead out in the fresh air, the dim glow of the bonfire lit the splashed on the walls, the laughter and drumming could be heard too.

The reason I wasn't over there having fun? Newt. He was there and knowing I liked him I couldn't be there knowing he wouldn't even be trying to talk to me. I pull my knees to my chest and wrap my arms around my legs, resting my head on my knees and closing my eyes as I try to stop tears from falling. I was stronger then just a sniffling mess of a girl.

I stared at the vines that cascaded down the walls and ended halfway. The concrete against concrete noise was heard again, echoing through the Glade. Screeches and wails from the Grievers following soon after. I shivered ad felt goosebumps climb up my arms, I had only ever met a griever in my hallucination but never actually seen one in the flesh but I don't understand how my mind knows what one looks like.

"Why aren't you enjoying the shuck bonfire you shank" Minho says sliding down the homestead wall next to me.

"Minho I really like the idea of thinking, alone" I groan.

"Not until you tell me why you're here"

"That's something I'm not going to do"

"Well then get used to thinking in pairs" Minho chuckles.

"I'm not telling you, ya' slinthead"

"Then go and enjoy the bonfire, the greenie is" he nudges my arm with his elbow

"Minho, what will it take for me to get rid of you?" I ask

Minho pretends to think but deep down he already knows what he's about to say "well you can come to the bonfire. Newts worried where you are you know" Minho says. Ok this boy is just shucking with my buggin' brain now,

"Why?"

"Because you didn't show up to the bonfire now can you get your shuck butt up and get to the bonfire because you know I'm going to win this argument". He gets up and crosses his arms over his chest. I huff and slowly stand up just to annoy Minho. I walk around to the frown of the homestead and walk side my side with Minho. The fire crackled and spat as the flames rose high into the air and disappeared in an array of mini firefly like shapes. People were laughing and having fun and drinking a murky liquid I saw Gally making earlier.

"Aye, you found her!" Alby yelled.

The greenie sat on a log and spun his torso around to face me, Newt also looked up from the murky liquid and managed a weak smile. Gally was over with his builders and didn't notice me.

I look at Minho who was smiling like a complete idiot. Minho sat down beside Newt and took the murky liquid from his grasp before taking a swig. He then passed it to Alby who took a swig and then he passed it to me.

"Ah... What is it?" I asked curiously, looking into the murky depths of the cup I was now holding full of the strange liquid.

"Don't know, Gallys recipe" Alby shrugs.

"Go on try it" Minho urged which suddenly made me nervous.

I narrowed my eyes at the liquid before bringing the cup to my mouth and taking a sip. I scrunched up my nose and spat out the small amount of liquid.

"That's disgusting" I cringe.

"Not once you get used to it" Minho laughs.

I pass the liquid back to Alby and stare at the fire. I was next to Newt but could feel his gaze on me. If he didn't like me then why did Minho say he was worried about me? I turn to the greenie with a smile, "you're names chuck right?" I ask him.

He nods his head gingerly "how are you finding glade life?"

"I-it's, I don't k-know, scary?" His answer sounded more like a question but I laughed and reply,

"everyone feels that way". My mind trailed towards Newt and how he said that he felt useless here and how much he hated it, he said that it became a tiny best better since something or someone, I don't know what he meant.

I realised soon enough that once you got Chuck going he could talk, but I didn't mind it was like a distraction from Newt, chuck asked a lot of questions and I answered most of them asking Ably if absolutely needed but I made sure not to look at Newt.

A twang of guilt and sadness erupted in my stomach because I didn't like ignoring Newt. Alby stood up,

"alright Gladers, lets get this shuck fire out and go to bed, everyone back to your usual jobs Tomorrow"

We all help put it out and we all trudge towards the homestead. Newt walks in a short time later, I sit on my bed and face the wall.

"Are you going to do that all bloody night?" He asks,

"I have a lot of thinking to do" I say

"On what?"

"Something I overheard"

"And that would be?" I wanted so badly just to blurt out every single word or thought I've thought about him.

I close my eyes, "I overheard someone saying they liked me"

Silence falls in the room, Newt doesn't answer for a few minutes.

"Who said they liked you" his voice was tense

I turn to face Newt looking him in the eyes. "You did Newt, you said you liked me"