Chapter 4

"First things first, should we change the shucking rules for this girl greenie?" Ably asked to no one in particular.

The question caught me off guard as did the rising discontented answers thrown straight back at Alby. I cowered back in my chair which must have caught Newt's attention, "hey, its ok they're bloody slintheads anyway" Newt tries to give a reassuring smile, my heart still ready to jump from my chest.

"What if she's a trap?" A boy shouts. "what if they sent her here because there is no way out?" another yelled. that question disgusted me, I knew what he meant and the thought made me want to cover myself. I shivered at how wrong it sounded, I guess the worst part about this so called gathering was that they all thought I couldn't handle myself,

"let her get treated like the rest of us!" someone shouted.

people seemed to agree with that, "ok, we have to act mature about this and not act like a bunch of slintheads!" Alby yelled trying to get everyone's attention, I looked over at Newt who took glances at me and the crowd.

"I'm all for giving the girl the same treatment as the rest of us so how many of you agree?" he says.

most boys raised their hands to my relive, I guess.

"well it made the gathering short and sweet" he turned to me and continued,

"we're gonna treat ya' like a true greenie" he smiled.
~~~~~
All the boys piled out of the shack and Newt and I were the only ones left inside. "Heading off to bed" he says walking out. I follow him to the homestead and into the room I was sharing with him, I felt stupid but nonetheless I sat in a corner and pulled my legs to my chest. I felt so helpless and useless, I couldn't protect myself and it annoyed me to no end. maybe I could've protected myself in the time when I had all my memories intact but I guess I'll never know thanks to me and my memory loss.

~DREAM~
It felt like a memory, I wasn't speaking at all yet I saw a bow and target through my vision. arrows were swiftly leaving the bow and hitting the middle of the target with a thud, more and more were slipping through the bow and hitting the target.

I must have stopped shooting because I watched through my eyes as I placed the bow down as went to retrieve my arrows. I stood side one and gripped the arrow with two hands, then tugged hard on the arrow which slid out, I watched as it dropped to the ground before retrieving the others from the worn target. I walked back to my bow and slipped my arm through.

Laughs of pure craziness could be heard from behind me, my body whipped around and came face to face with terrible creatures. They looked human but cuts, scratches and sores were blotched all over their body. they were covered in blood and their skin pale, purplish green veins stuck out which made me cringe mentally, there were four of them, two men and two women. I took out my bow and pointed it at them, my vision switching between the two. I pulled back the string on the bow and pointed it at the woman's head. the twang of the string indicated the arrow was in the air, it didn't take long to make contact with the woman's head as she jerked backwards and let out a shriek before falling on her back and laying still. I shot the other three and stood over their dead bodies, I could feel sadness in the memory as wet tears trail down my cheeks and hearing the wails of my voice as I knelt beside the bodies, did I know them?

I clutched the woman's hand and didn't let go, I had dropped my bow and arrow long ago and continued to wail by the adults side. I couldn't handle so much sadness. who were these people and why was I acting like this towards them?
~END OF DREAM~

I felt someone shaking me, I snapped open my eyes and saw Newt. his hands were on my shoulders and a worried look on his face, "are you ok?!" He asked.

"you were a crying and snivelling bloody mess" I looked at him and wiped the tears from my eyes. I nod my head, I could feel a blanket on me, he stood up, "sleep on the bed., I'll take the floor" he smiles. I shake my head, I was fine where I was. but this Newt felt so familiar to me, like I knew him from somewhere.

"Are you ok greenbean?" he cocked his head to the side in confusion. I then realised I had been staring at an opposite wall, I snap out of my daze and shake my head, I look up at Newt and quickly focus my eyes back on the floor before closing my eyes.