WUTHERING NIGHTS (chapter twenty-four: Dinner Party)

Start from the beginning

     Annabelle had dressed formally for the occasion, Kate noticed. Whilst it had recently been no surprise to see her in jeans and an old, paint-splattered shirt, her sister-in-law was dressed to kill. Belle had also spent the afternoon at the hairdresser’s having her blonde hair foiled and waved in the latest celebrity style.

     Kate worried about her, and not for the reasons Annabelle suspected. Jealousy was not an emotion Kate felt easily and certainly not in the direction of Annabelle. But she suspected, or really had always known that Annabelle remained infatuated with Heath. His contempt for all her sister-in-law stood for (inherited wealth, class distinction, the divide between him and Kate) would run deeper and extend to contempt for Annabelle.

     Heath’s pallor seemed tanned; his clothes were tailored and expensive. Annabelle had done some research and informed Kate that he owned companies all over town. Kate had barely listened. She was unimpressed by the way Heath had brought Harrison low, even though she knew how much Harrison deserved it.

     Heath was dressed in a formal suit under a pure cashmere overcoat. Only Kate knew the scarf he wore was her own. To Annabelle, who was sitting in the bay window seat - the same place Kate had sat in when she was recovering after the skiing incident, waiting or rather pining for Heath - this would not register.

    Heath thought Kate looked like a movie star as he hovered in the hall. He tried to ignore her as he casually glanced at the photographs on the walls. Annabelle shone in the background, but he paid her scant attention in that moment. When his eyes had finished glancing at Kate’s infant daughter (she looked to be about one in the photograph), Heath glanced back at Kate, then Annabelle.

      Kate withdrew to the kitchen as Annabelle raced up to Heath, enthusiastically. Heath stood formally in the hallway.

     ‘Hello Annabelle.’

     ‘Hello Heath,’ Annabelle replied happily. ‘May I take your coat?’

       Normally, the butler would have done this, but Annabelle had been quick to the mark after Greta wished them all good night and given the staff the night off. Annabelle took Heath’s scarf and placed it on the hall table not far from Katarina’s baby picture which Heath appeared not to notice.

       When Annabelle reached over to take Heath’s coat, he turned around quicker than she anticipated. To her surprise and delight, just as she was going to greet him with the customary European air kiss on both cheeks, he kissed her on the mouth instead. Heath showed no expression as Annabelle blushed again and stumbled to the coat rack feeling as light as air.

     The visitor smiled warmly. ‘You are looking lovely tonight, Annabelle,’ he said. Annabelle was excited to hear her name spoken in his velvet voice. ‘It’s been too long. I haven’t seen you in years,’ he added.

    Annabelle smiled shyly and blushed at the warm greeting and unexpected compliment she had received.

    ‘We thought you had forgotten us,’ Annabelle said, pretending to be slightly put out as they walked through to the drawing room.

    ‘Not exactly, I work in finance now. My work took me… to America.’

    ‘I read about you in the paper today: financial wiz kid and all that. They posted a lot of details in the article. Apparently you are the most sought after bachelor in England. You should have stayed in touch...’ Annabelle beamed.

   ‘Well, the important thing is I’m back in touch now,’ he said, staring directly into her eyes.   

    Annabelle continued, ‘and then I read all about how much money you donate to charity…’