WUTHERING NIGHTS (chapter nineteen: Promises)

Start from the beginning

     The words: holiday, skiing and Switzerland became a kind of pattern in his mind; a pathway out of the daily grind he told himself was only temporary. He recognised a stronger desire for blood (and always the desire for revenge on Harrison) the closer he got to midnight.

      His love for Kate tempered him. He was sure it made him a better person to know he had to be the best he could, for her. He resisted the evils lurking in St James. Daily, he was tempted by the homeless people on the street, the women in expensive coats, business men in even more expensive suits. Their veins pulsed at him like light if he was even a few minutes late taking his medication. He’d explained all of this to Kate in a letter; the one in ten thousand chance he’d had of being born a hybrid, then turning into a vampire; how his biological father must have carried the gene but not necessarily suffered from its affliction.

    The night he was due to see Kate, Annabelle and some of her Art School friends took Heath out to celebrate the fact that he had applied and been accepted into a training program at the firm where he cleaned. His brilliance with numbers and ability to stay up all night studying ensured him the highest marks in the exam. They went to a restaurant in the centre of town where Annabelle, who had pretty much given up on Heath as anything but a friend, had arranged a surprise for Heath. Kate’s arrival was not supposed to be until the next day, Saturday, but she’d managed to “escape” early, as she put it.

    Kate waited for Heath expectantly. She wore a scarlet coat and a matching scarf and her hair was swept up in a winter woollen cap, making her appear sophisticated beyond her years. Annabelle arrived with a group of friends from Art School and headed to the reserved table.

    ‘Kate! It’s so wonderful to see you. I cannot believe you are back in London for good! Don’t worry; everyone thinks you are staying with me. They won’t notice you’ve gone missing until Tuesday - plenty of time for you and Heath…’

    ‘I can’t thank you enough, Annabelle.’ Kate said.

    ‘Well,’ Annabelle replied, ‘I hope we can be friends now, as we were always meant to be.’ Annabelle glanced over at the handsome Art School student she was dating and Kate realised Annabelle was finally over Heath. Maybe it was true they could at last be friendly. Without her cover, she would never have been able to escape the day before her birthday. 

     ‘Thank you so much for being such a true friend to me Annabelle.’

     ‘Not at all, it’s about time Harrison got some of his own medicine. I’ve always liked Heath… as you know, but let’s face it, he only ever had eyes for you,’ Anne added.

   When Heath arrived, expecting to see Annabelle and her other friends (who were now his friends) he was completely floored.

   ‘Kate! You changed your mind and arrived early!’ he said as she shyly kissed him on both cheeks.

   ‘I wish. Tomorrow,’ she whispered in his ear, ‘I’m yours forever.’

   Kate flung her arms around him and together they sat with the group while they all decided where to go for dinner. Something cheap but cheerful in Soho was the general consensus. Heath chatted excitedly about his new job opportunity and Kate told him about her plans to enrol in Art College with Annabelle.

   Kate leaned in toward Heath and took his hand under the table. ‘I don’t care what happens now as long as I’m with you,’ she said. ‘Finishing School was a nightmare.’

   Heath smiled back with his eyes and whispered to her, ‘I love you.’ He had invested his stock market winnings and had managed to double the money in a month. It was enough for them to have their deposit on a flat.