Comforting My Friend

Your POV

I'm reading one of my father's medical books on Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome. Even though I said I want to be a doctor, I still don't know what to specialize in. Oncology, pediatrics, a surgeon like him ... the list goes on. The blue sticky tags are still at the top when dad was looking through it as an intern.

Sigh.

Mom are dad are putting in long hours at the Ootori hospital. If this keeps up, it won't be long until they collapse from exhaustion. Then again, they've been a doctor and nurse for more than fifteen years. I'm sure they're used to it by now.

I hope so.

Ring! Ring! Ring!

The light on my smartphone rang. I close the medical book and place it back on the desk. I grab my smartphone to see who was calling me.

Caller Idea: (Best Friend).

I wonder why she's calling me for. I press on the answer button and put the phone up to my ear.

"Hello."

"(Y/N)!"

"Oh, hey (F/N). What's up?"

"Ne-Ne, sorry to call you at this hour. Are you busy right now?"

"No. I'm not busy right now. Why?"

....

"Huh? (Boy's Name)? What happen?"

~ At a local cafe near you ~

This was the place (F/N) said he would be at. I notice (Boy's Name) sulking by the window. He does not notice me as he is looking up in the ceiling in sadness. Guess the news hit him pretty hard. Who wouldn't be?

I push the door to the small cafe and enter. After greeting the barista, I slowly made my way over to him. Clutching onto my backpack, he still doesn't notice me.

"(Boy's Name)." I whisper. He looks at me with a gasp.

"(Y/N)." I smile softly.

"Mind if I join you?" I ask. He sighs deeply, avoiding making eye contact with me.

"Yeah." He stares out the window. I slowly made me way into the open seat across the table where he was sitting. I put my backpack down.

"How did you find me?" he asks. I adjust my seat a bit before answering.

"Gino and Do told me. Since they didn't have my number, they asked (F/N) to call me." He looks at me with eyes widen. (Boy's Name) scoffs.

"I told those two to not open their yaps." He slouches back in his seat.

"Gintaro and Dozo were worried about you. Even though you are a doofus, me and (F/N) were worried about you as well." I tell him. He takes a deep sigh.

"They told you, didn't they? That I took the benchmark exam for Tonan University. That I didn't even pass them." he asks.

"Yeah." I nod my head. He leans forward a bit to delicately hold the cup of coffee in front of him. My attention goes back to him, taking my gaze off from the cup. "You know, there are other students deciding not to go to college. Gino is going to technical school. Dozo is going to work at his dad's business." (Boy's Name) sits upright and places himself against the booth side of the table. He gazes up in thought.

"Yeah. I know I could always work with my dad and run the restaurant. After all, it was your grandfather's restaurant and my father was his successor. However, I want to do something more. I thought I tried something big. I wanted to go to university to explore my options."