32

A hundred feet away from them stood the gates of the city.

The remaining people in the pack stood there and watch as the sunsets' rays streak the towering walls. Definitely reminds me of the maze walls.

The whole entrance seemed to be highly secured. But still even with all the threatening walls and all the security cameras, something was off.

Skylar curled her arms on the bark of the last tree of the woods and leaned it to see what's wrong with the whole scenario. As the others remained still. Seems to be waiting for a go signal.

Her eyes moved around the area and waited for something. She scanned the top part of the gate. All it had was some electric wires and a lot of security cameras. The sides as well.

But then her eyes fell on the ground. This was the picture missing.

About a dozen dead bodies laid out cold on the entrance. All of them wearing the same uniform.

It made a lump on her throat. To make things even worse, the door was cracked open and there was a small whole, enough for an average man to fit in, carved on the right side of the entrance.

"Guys" She addressed them. But it seems that they already saw the error.

"I think this is good thing" Jarvis spoke. "I mean we don't have to break in. Some crazies might had already got inside before us."

Newt contradicted his opinion. "I don't feel good about this slinthead. I mean we can't just barge in there. Didn't ya' ever wonder what lies beyond this bloody gate? What if a horde of cranks that are way worst that us are waitin'. Waitin' for us enter and we'll be their main course. Or what if the redshirt lads are guarding inside?"

"I'm tired of this 'what if' game." Jarvis took a step forward. "We've gone this far and lost too much. I'm fightin' my way in. Denver seems to be down already. We survived the woods. Let's all just get inside and find somethin'"

He pulled out a dagger from his pocket. "And try not to be killed" And with that Jarvis started walking towards the gate.

Skylar looked over Roselle. They both nodded their heads and followed him. Newt and Aaron behind.

Eyes. Not a lot of them. A pair of eyes. She can sense them.

She scanned each corps that they passed through. Some of them had bite marks. Some were bleeding. Some had missing body parts. Others were half opened. Shuck. The tension in this pathway got intense.

Five feet away from the hole, when a sudden scream bursted right behind them.

Skylar's body leaped backward when it exploded. She landed on a dead and bloody civilian. Her elbow crashing to the person's mouth.

Before she could recover, her eyes went straight up to the person who screamed. Everyone's eyes followed.

She was expecting a crank attack or something like that. But it was far from that.

It was just someone from their pack. Hugging someone who's lying cold and blooded on the ground. Sobbing and screaming. Well that scared the shuck out of me. She sighed in relief.

She saw Jarvis eyes roll. Like he was irritated. Someone had ruined his grand entrance. She joked to herself.

"What is it now?! Would you please stop screaming!." He came close to the girl while making a huge glare. Stepping on the dead bodies like they were just some trash scattered on the pathway.