Chapter 30: Is Blood Thicker Than Water?

"A family is supposed to be our safe haven. Very often, it's the place where we find the deepest heartache." - Iyanla Vanzant

Please Vote

Comment

And Follow me ....

............................................

Athena Giudici's POV

        "The bullet lodged in the heart muscle and was only removed sometime later." I stop and felt rooted when I heard what the doctors said. My body starts to shake when the words sunk in my head. "The shocking X-ray image, clearly shows that the deadly bullet pierced his heart chamber." The doctor continued on. I stood frozen in the doorway, with the door ajar as I listened to the conversation inside the private room where Gio was transferred after a long operation, according to Vito.

He underwent a two hours of bullet-biting surgery.

"We decided not to remove the bullet immediately as it was acting as a stopper and preventing a hemorrhage. We proceeded to open the breast bone very carefully because there was a risk of hitting the bullet and enlarging the heart wound." The doctor explained further. "With the bullet visible, we performed a manual removal of the foreign body, which was embedded in the anterior right ventricular. And we were not a hundred percent sure he'll recover, but as you can see the patient has recovered well and he is now off the ventilator." The doctor's voice is filled with pride and happiness.

The heavy load of sorrow at my heart is gone the moment I confirmed he is safe and overcome death. A stray tear rolls down my cheeks with joy and relief.

"You are one hell of a fighter, Mr. Santorini!" The doctor chuckles.

"Shut up, McKinly!" Gio sounded so calm and carefree.

"The Satan would be so proud of you. You had overcome death once again," the doctor teased.

"The devil doesn't die easily, you are one of a hell of a doctor, Chet!" He proudly said and chuckled. The tears streamed down incessantly over my cheeks. I bit my bottom lip to suppress the sounds from escaping my lips. "I still have seven lives left, McKinly," he added on which the doctor agrees playfully.

"When can he discharge?" I heard Isaias asked.

"I'll come by to check on him some time later, and if his systems are all functioning well, then he can get discharged anytime." The doctor said and then I heard his footsteps coming to my direction. I suddenly felt the blood courses throughout my system and I found myself retreating hastily away from the room, back to my father's room.

Back in my father's room, I saw my brother Andrew and mom sitting next to dad. They were all talking animatedly. When they saw me, mom stood up and approach me with worries in her eyes.

"Are you alright?" She asked.

I can't find my voice. I felt it dry and parched after spending the night crying. I just nodded my head.

"Come and sit. We have to talk," mom led me to the chair close to Andrew. "Where did you go? You just suddenly left without telling us," mom asked softly as she watches me sat on the wooden chair.

"I-" I don't know if I need to say it. When mom and Andrew found out that Giovanni kidnapped dad and beat him, they were very angry. "I just went to the washroom," I lied, unable to meet mom's eyes.

My eyes darted to my father who was staring at me, emotionless. I discreetly clenched my jaws. This is his time to tell us everything, but it seems he has no plans of telling us the truth. He had bandages on his shoulder.