The Shared Moon

"I can't lose anyone! I can't..."

"You might. Someone dear to you. Someone important."

"I don't want to."

[Name] gasped, sitting upright and breathing heavily. It was pitch black, and her partner was next to her sound asleep.

It was a horrible nightmare. She saw someone she thought she knew, but she couldn't give them a name. It frightened her.

Who would she lose? It was someone dear to her, so it couldn't be herself. Even if she wanted it to be. Her brother, maybe. Or him, Itachi Uchiha, the man who sacrificed himself to guide her to safety.

They were in a cave while they still ventured somewhere safe to continue their research. The moon was bright, and the fire they had was dying out. She stood to get more sticks.

"There's no need. Are you okay?" Itachi's deep yet soothing voice hadn't startled [Name].

"I... I think I am. I just had a nightmare. It's fine."

Itachi sat up next to her and wrapped a shawl over her shoulders. "You'll catch a cold in this." [Name] pulled it tighter around her.

He spat miniature fireballs and brightened the fire. "Do you want to tell me? We have plenty of time."

[Name] hesitated. She was unsure herself, so she wouldn't know how to explain it to him. But she did anyways.

"Um... I was by myself in a dark nothing. I looked around, and a voice called to me. It told me over and over again that something had to go. That I had to lose someone. And, I don't want that. I already lost my parents, my family. Karasu isn't with me anymore. And, I'm not sure if I'll even make it..."

Tears brimmed at her eyes and streamed out, falling on the cave floor. Itachi pushed a loose strand of hair behind her hair. "You won't. I'm sure of that."

[Name] was sniffling now and trying her best not to burst into sobs. "How would you know? What of I lose you?"

It was a heartbreaking and tear-jerking question. It had meaning behind it, but it opened doors to different contexts.

Itachi was silent at first, but he smiled only. "If you lose me, it means I did something good. I helped you. Even if you don't want to be here now, with me and with problems. If I die for your sake, I've done a good deed."

Now, the tears flowed endlessly. [Name] couldn't stop and wailed like a child. Itachi instinctively grabbed her and pressed her into his chest, smoothing her hair and letting her cry out the pain, agony, and neglect she had her entire life.

[Name] couldn't stop crying. She didn't know why or how, but the words Itachi said were different than what she had expected. She expected him to say something else, not say that it was "a good deed." She didn't understand why, but it triggered emotions. A hidden door she kept hidden.

The door that had been locked because she never understood the true feeling of being in need.

And Itachi was the key that opened it, and many other doors as well.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Suzume had been up while his older twin was asleep. He stared out to look at the moon. It was a secret hobby of his: stargazing. Not only was it a beautiful sight, but it gave him thoughts. Thoughts of wanting to be free, even though he knew it would never happen.

He and Mitsu shared mutual feelings on this matter. But they stayed to please Kamakiri. They were indebted to him and owed him their lives. They loved him for he once care for them so many years ago.

Freedom called them for so long. It was a hope, a wish, a need that they could not receive.

The door opened, casting a strip of light in the room. He recognized that shadow to be Kamakiri-san.

"What are you doing up?" he asked. Suzume stepped down from the window sill and lowered his head. He walked towards his lord.

"Look at me, Suzumebachi." He never called them by their full names unless they were in serious trouble.

Carefully, he looked at his master. His master didn't seem upset, but he slapped him across the face. "WHY ARE YOU UP?! HEAL DAMN IT!" Suzume lost his balance, but was pulled back by Kamakiri.

"You're good-for-nothing. You and your brother. You'll start training tomorrow, so heal soon." Suzume nodded. He didn't move because he knew he wasn't officially dismissed.

Kamakiri came up to him and moved his silver bangs out of the way to see his eyes, his red and orange orbs. "You look like your mother. Beautiful, aren't you?" He smiled. "You're only beautiful once." He kissed his forehead and walked away, dismissing him.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Shisui and Karasu had found an inn and decided to stay in it for the night. They decided to travel where people were because they would be able to blend in crowds easily. "It's alright if it's one bed? Are you sure? I have money for a bigger room."

"It's only one night. We can sleep together." Shisui shrugged and paid the clerk, who handed him keys.

They walked together to their room. Shisui dumped their belongings on the bed and began to organize it. "You should shower, Karasu."

Karasu didn't respond, and when Shisui looked up, he had gone to the window. "Shisui, do you ever wonder if you're looking at the same thing as someone else?"

"Of course, in supermarkets when there are sales on vegetables."

"No, not like that." Karasu touched the glass. "I meant like with the person you love the most. I look at the moon or sunset. I hope that [Name] and I see it at the same time. And tonight, I feel like we are."

Shisui chuckled. "That's adorable, Karasu. Thirteen-years-old and already a hopeless romantic. You're so cute, kid."

Karasu blushed. "I am not!" He threw a pillow at Shisui. They both began to laugh together.

"I'm just kidding. No, actually. I think that's a great idea. Keeps you motivated." He rolled over so that he was on his back.

"Think about it: 'Shared Moons'. Sounds cool, huh?"

.:End - The Shared Moon:.

.:Find Me:.

Instagram: hope.ful_enough

Tumblr: haru-on-land

Quotev: Grey Steele

Ask.fm: Grey_Steele

Line: von_steele

Snapchat: hopeweeabotrash