Raising The Emo Bad Boy's Kids...Great {23}

“Daddy?” I looked down at Shane. “Yea Shane?” I asked curiously. He reached his tiny arms at me and I lifted him onto my lap. “Shawn was saying bad words,” he whimpered. I nearly laughed. Shane was such a sweet kid.

                “Well that’s not nice,” I said, shaking my head. “But don’t tell him I tolded on him!” he cried. “Tolded isn’t a word Shane,” I said, laughing a little.

                He frowned. I kissed his forehead. “Was that all Shane?” He bit his lip and shook his head. He looked up at me with his muddy eyes. Eyes of an innocent child. Eyes I realized I once had.

                “What’s cancer?” he asked. I froze a little. “Why are you asking that?” I asked, knowing the answer. “I heard mommy saying grandma had cancer,” he said. I hugged him a little tighter. Ali’s mom had breast cancer.

                “What is it daddy?” he asked. I sighed. “Um…it means she’s sick,” I said, not wanting to discuss the possibility of death with Shane. I didn’t want to be the one to drain that innocence out of his eyes. It was immature, but I didn’t care.

                “Oh. When will she get better?” “I don’t know buddy,” I said truthfully. Probably never. But no need to tell Shane that.

                “Ben! Come in the kitchen!” dad called. I rolled my eyes and picked Shane up. He put his thumb in his mouth and I bit my tongue against the protest rising in me. Ali had taken Shawn to her parents’ house to visit her mom. Shane had been asleep.

                “Yea dad?” I asked curiously. He smiled at me and nodded at something on the ground. I glanced at it and laughed. “Really dad? A dog? Like the house isn’t full enough.” Dad smiled at me widely. When I was a kid, he had always talked about getting a dog. He loved dogs.

                “The boys are little and Jeydyn’s still little. I think having a pet when you’re a kid is great! Remember the pictures of my dog I used to show you Benny?”

                I nodded and carried Shane over to the little dog. “How old is it dad?” I asked curiously. “A friend of mine was going to get rid of it so I took it. It’s a 2 year old Havanese.”

                (A.N.- Lololol don’t ask, I have a Havanese XD If you guys don’t know what they look like, I can just upload a picture of my dog. Basically, they’re small dogs that are good for people like me who have allergies.)

                I set Shane down and knelt with him as he stared at the dog. “Can I pet it granda?” he asked. I mentally sighed. Shane very rarely could pronounce “grandpa” so he had taken to calling my dad “granda”.

                “Of course you can Shane! His name is Wallace,” dad said, sitting down with Shane and petting the dog. Shane gently stroked his hand along the dog’s fur. The dog began to lick his hand and he squealed in delight. It brought a smile to my face. Jeydyn was at school otherwise she’d be smiling with the dog too. She loved animals.

                “Daddy pet it!” he cried happily. But the way he said it, it sounded like “Dayee pen et!” I really had to work on Shane’s pronunciation with him some time. He also had a lisp. Poor kid was a verbal wreck. Shawn seemed to be alright though.

                I pet the dog and it rested its head and began to sleep. I smiled at it. “Daddy I like him! What’s his name?” “Grandpa said it was Wallace,” I said, thinking of how strange that was for a dog name. Weren’t most dogs named, like, Max or something? Jesus my poor 3 year old with a lisp couldn’t pronounce Wallace.

                “Walfice!” Shane said happily. Dad and I laughed. “No Shane, it’s Wallace,” I said, pronouncing it slowly. “Walvis,” Shane said, clearly struggling to pronounce it correctly. “I hate to say, we can’t just change Wallace’s name,” dad said with an apologetic shrug.

                “Shane, just call him Wall,” I said, laughing. Shane pouted. “Walnit!” he said, getting frustrated with his lack of verbal skills. “Just say Wall Shane,” I said, ruffling his hair affectionately.

                “Where’d the ‘n’ come from?” dad asked curiously. I shrugged. “Shane’s not good with words. He can’t even say his own name,” I said, frowning a little. It worried Ali a lot. I always tried to reassure her that he would be fine with his speech in a few short years, but I got worried too sometimes.

                “What’s your name?”dad asked him with a smile. Shane struggled for a minute. “Sane,” he said, then frowned, realizing that wasn’t right. “Sane!” he tried again. “That’s better than last week. Last week he was saying fane,” I said, frowning at him and pulling him into my lap.

                “But you were awful with words when you were his age Benjamin and you grew out of it when you hit Kindergarten,” dad said with a reassuring smile. I smiled at him slightly. “Yea, I guess he’ll be alright. We’ll work on it.”

                Dad laughed. “Hell, I remember you used to call yourself Benamen because you couldn’t pronounce Benjamin.” I laughed. “Yea, I wasn’t the smartest toddler.”

                We pet the dog and I smiled at Shane. He seemed so happy. That’s all I wanted for my boys. I just wanted them to be happy. I would do anything to see them happy. I kissed Shane’s forehead as he started to happily squeal again with the dog licking him.

                “We’re home!” Ali called. She entered the kitchen and smiled widely. “This is our new dog, Wallace,” dad said with a grin. “Doggy!” Shawn shrieked. Ali set him down and he ran to the dog. “Be gentle with him Shawn,” I said as he pet the dog.

                “Wall!” Shane cried happily. “Wallet!” Shawn said with a smile. I sighed. “Call him Wall,” I said as Ali laughed. “He’s adorable.” Dad and I nodded in agreement. “I just wish he could have an easier name for the boys to pronounce,” I said with a sigh.

                I stood up and kissed Ali lovingly. Dad had stopped giving us the silent treatment after Jeydyn had gotten upset by it. He hated to see her cry.

                The phone started ringing it and I answered it. “Hello?” I asked with a slight smile as the boys both squealed in delight.

                “Ben?” Chris’s terrified voice asked. I froze. Chris was never terrified. “What’s wrong?” I asked immediately. “I…Ben, I think I got Jenny pregnant.”