Raising The Emo Bad Boy's Kids...Great {3}

I carried Shane downstairs to where my dad and Ali were glaring and screaming. Shawn sat with his shirt off on the floor. He was watching fearfully.

                Dad spotted me and came to my side. He placed his arm around my shoulders and pulled me closer to him. “You can take care of the boys. Ben does it every day!” he snapped. “Dad, calm down. I don’t mind watching the boys,” I said.

                “I don’t care. Ali never does anything!” he exploded. He carefully took Shane from my arms and smiled at him. He kissed his cheek and handed him to Ali. “Now watch him while I talk to Ben,” he growled.

                He led me out of there up to my room. He sat me down on my bed and began to pace. I waited anxiously. He sighed and came over to me. He wrapped his arms around me tightly.

                “Dear god Benny. I thought you quit smoking,” he whispered. I felt a flash of anger. Why did Ali have to run off and tell my dad? Didn’t she understand that he could send me away again? I couldn’t be away. I had two little kids to raise.

                I shoved my dad off me. “It was a cigarette. It won’t kill me,” I snapped. “Benny, you’ve smoked enough that one could be all it takes at this point!” he cried. He was right. I had been smoking ever since I was 12.

                “Dad, it doesn’t matter. I’m 18. I can do what I want.” He shook his head. “No you can’t! You’re just a kid Benny, whether or not you want to admit it. You’re my son and I don’t want to lose you to cigarettes,” he said desperately.

                I stood up. “I barely smoke anymore dad. I don’t have the time. And I don’t have the time to be doing this. I have to go take care of Shane. We don’t have the money to take him to a doctor.” That made me feel terrible to say, but it was true. My mom hadn’t been able to afford to send my sister or I to a doctor and now I couldn’t afford to take my little boy to a doctor.

                My dad frowned deeply. “Ben, I will pay for his doctor visit. It’s not a problem,” he said sincerely. I hesitated. “We’ll see how he’s doing tomorrow,” I said at last. He opened his mouth to speak but I left the room and made my way back to Ali and the twins.

                She was wrapping towels around them. “I don’t like baths,” Shawn whined. “Well you need one,” Ali said and kissed his forehead. She faced me and got a guilty look. “I’m sorry Ben. I really didn’t mean to tell him. It just slipped out.”

                Despite my anger, I waved my hand dismissively. I didn’t want to lose control in front of my sons. “It’s fine. I don’t care.” I sat down on the ground with her and helped her towel dry their hair.

                “He said he’d pay for a doctor visit,” I said. She nodded. “That’s good. I think he needs to go. He really doesn’t look good.” She gave Shane a concerned look.

                I sighed sadly and we dressed the boys and picked them up. Shane rested his head on my shoulder and began to suck on his thumb. “Don’t do that Shane. That’s probably how you got sick,” I said and gently pulled his thumb out of his mouth.

                My phone buzzed and I checked the message and smiled brightly. It was the best news I had gotten in a long time. I eagerly went over to Ali.

                “Ali! Chris’s 18th birthday party is this weekend,” I said in excitement. She raised an eyebrow. “Ben, we can’t go. You know that.” I shook my head. “No, no, no. Chris’s sister has a 3 year old and she’s going. Chris said they’re going to have an area where we can keep the kids. His sister will watch them.”

                Ali bit her lip. “How old is his sister?” she asked nervously. I thought back. I had met her a few times. Unlike Chris, she was really nice. “Either 26 or 27. I’m pretty sure she’s 27.” Ali gave me a shocked look. “His sister is that old?” I laughed. “That’s only a 9 year age difference. That’s what Jeydyn and I have.”

                She laughed. “Ben, your parents and Chris’s are completely different.” I shrugged. “His parents are old. His mom’s 58 and his dad’s 60.” Ali suddenly looked curious. “How old are your parents? I never even thought about that.” I opened my mouth and curiously shut it. “Huh. Good question.”

                I thought hard. I was 18 so that would make my parents…uh…Ali began to laugh at me and I pouted. “My mom is 40 and my dad is 42 I think,” I said. My dad entered the room and looked at both of us.

                “Dad, how old are you?” I asked. He raised an eyebrow. “Benjamin, I’m 42. I really hope you know that by now.” I shrugged. “Yea, that’s what I thought. We weren’t sure. And my mom’s 40 right?” He nodded, anger exploding in his eyes. He hated my mom.

                “How old are your parents?” I asked Ali. “Both of them are 50,” she said. “Oh. So they’re old?” She rolled her eyes. “Ben, they’re not old.” I rolled my eyes. “Sure they are.” My dad frowned. “Am I old?” I shook my head. “Nah, 42 isn’t old.”

                He looked at the boys. “You make me feel old. Grandkids at 39!” Ali and I laughed. “Sorry dad I didn’t exactly think I would ever se-” I caught myself but it was too late.

                Ever see you again.

                I bit my lip and left the room with Shane. I could hear Ali following me. “Ben, he knows you didn’t mean to say that,” she said softly. “Doesn’t matter. I said it.” She sighed. “How were you supposed to know Ben? Point is, he’s back and he’s here to stay,” she said and kissed me.

                “So, are we going to Chris’s party?” I asked. I couldn’t keep the excitement from my voice. It had been so long since I had done anything with my friends. Ali hesitated but sighed. “Fine. But as soon as the boys are tired, we leave!” she said stubbornly. I kissed her deeply, happiness exploding in me.

                Partying lifestyle, I’m coming back.