Raising The Emo Bad Boy's Kids...Great {7}

“Mommy, what’s wrong with Shane?” Shawn asked as I sat with him on the floor. Shane was taking a nap at the moment and we were in the living room.

                I sighed. “I don’t know Shawn,” I said and stroked his hair. “What’s wrong with daddy?” he asked, looking up at me with innocent eyes. I choked back my emotions and hugged him tightly.

                “I wish I knew,” I whispered. Ben was on a massive hangover. JJ didn’t want anyone going into Ben’s room. Saying that his temper would be beyond terrible was a massive understatement. It was best to just leave him alone until tomorrow. And boy was I planning to talk to him tomorrow about Chris’s party.

                Apparently, everyone who had been at Chris’s party was on a massive hangover. I should’ve never let Ben go to the party. I should’ve known better. Of course he would drink. He was Benjamin Robert Jarvis. It was the way his bitch of a mother had been and he had just copied her, too young to understand that it was terribly wrong and bad.

                Someone tapped my shoulder and I spun to face Jeydyn. She was nervously chewing on her lip and playing with her hair. Claire must have braided it. She was wearing a yellow and white dress. She looked beautiful.

                “You look really beautiful Jeydyn,” I said with a small smile. “Thanks,” she said, the ghost of a smile appearing on her face. It was erased quickly and I could see the intense concern in her eyes. “What’s wrong with my brother?” she demanded, tears rising in her eyes. “My dad and grandma won’t tell me.”

                My heart went out to this damaged little girl. So broken on the inside. I had a feeling that even she didn’t know just how damaged she was. Mentally and emotionally scarred. How would all of this affect her in the future? Ben had to change his ways. He was hurting Jeydyn more than he wanted to accept. Soon he would be hurting our sons in the same way.

                I sighed and stroked Shawn’s hair again. “Jeydyn, do you know what alcohol is?” I asked at last. I might as well tell her. Even if she was little, she still deserved to know. Ben was her brother and she loved him and was concerned about him.

                Jeydyn nodded. She got that scared look in her eyes. “It’s what my mom drinks. It’s what makes her so nasty. That’s what my dad said.” I nodded. I was pretty sure her mom was “nasty” without the alcohol, but no need to remind her of that fact.

                “Yes. Well, Ben has a problem. You see, alcohol is very addicting. You know what that means, right?” She nodded. “Ben got himself addicted to alcohol. It makes a person act different. He drank too much of it and it made him sick.”

                Terror exploded in her eyes and the tears rose again. One fell down her cheek. “Benny’s going to be like my mom?” she whispered. My eyes widened and I violently shook my head.

                “No! Never!” I cried. “Ben will never be like her!” Even though during my pregnancy, he had shown some of his mom’s violent habits. It was his nasty temper. Something he had inherited from his mom. A nasty temper and a violent way of acting out when it flared up.

                Jeydyn nervously played with her braid and sniffed. “I have to tell him something. Will he get mad if I did something bad?” My mind flashed to the one time Ben had physically taken his temper out on Jeydyn. Once. Once in the 9 years they had been together.

                “No. He won’t hurt you Jeydyn,” I said softly. “He loves you too much.” She seemed to have calmed down. “Okay. When will he be feeling better?” I sighed and shrugged. “I don’t know Jey. I’ll tell you when he’s better, okay?” She nodded and I smiled. “Let’s go check on him Jey.” She smiled.

                I picked Shawn up and grabbed Jey’s hand. We walked up the stairs together and I headed towards Ben’s room. We quietly entered.

                Ben was sitting in his bed staring at his ceiling. He looked over at us and avoided my eyes. “What?” he grumbled. “What do you want?”

                I squeezed Jeydyn’s hand encouragingly. She glanced at me nervously before swallowing. “I have to tell you something Benny. Promise you won’t get mad?” He glanced at her curiously. “Sure Jey. What do you have to tell me?”

                And then she said something that shocked both of us.

                “It’s my fault Shane keeps crying for you.”