I Act Like I'm Tough, He Treats Me Like A Teddy Bear ; 11

I was confused the entire ride to the hospital. Or I could say I was dazed. I didn’t know what to feel, It didn’t feel like anything was real. Ami, accident, coma. The words were bouncing around in my head emptily for the past 10 minutes.

It wasn’t until I was standing motionlessly in the doorway of her hospital room looking at her, bruised, cut and mangled face. I broke down and started to cry uncontrollably.

She was my sister. She was my best friend.

Her family was the family I never had. She didn’t deserve this. I did. Just thinking that made me cry harder. She had severe brain damage and the doctor informed me that she won’t make it past a couple days. I cried harder when he told me this. I called her parents but couldn’t tell them. Carson had to explain everything. When Mr. and Mrs. Hinden came in I hugged them fiercely. It had been almost 5 years since I saw them.

------------------------

It was the day of Ami’s funeral. I wore a simple black dress and some sandals. No makeup.

My eyes were red and puffy. My face constantly had a swollen look to since the accident last week. I hadn’t been able to stop crying. I gave up on everything pretty much. I moped through my classes, trying to distract myself with the work. I was keeping myself busy all the time. If I wasn’t buried into my work I was running or swimming. Carson was also pretty sad. She was always trying to cheer me up. Nothing worked.

People always gave me sympathetic expressions in the hallways. I told them to ‘find ducks’. In other words I was saying ‘get lost before I beat you severely’.

Josh kept treating me sweeter than ever. He was sitting next to me in class. He was always with me when I did my homework. He swam with me, ran with me.

I was honestly starting to get annoyed.

I sniffled to myself staring dazedly at the sleek mahogany coffin covered in a variety of flowers. I was crying silently. Carson sat next to me squeezing my hand. I squeezed it back weakly and didn’t bother to wipe away the tears that were still freely flowing down my cheeks. Jimmy was sitting next to Carson. He had to accompany me here today, PO rules.

The service started and pretty soon people were asked to saw a few words. A couple people went up and then I stood and made my way to the podium. I breathed deeply and blinked before I began.

“Ami, was my bestfriend. She was more than a best friend. She was my sister, the only person I could talk to about anything. She helped me with, all of the problems I’ve had. She kept me out of trouble, she believed I was a better person. I’m going miss her so much. I can’t begin to express how much she meant to me. everyone I know loved her. She was just an amazing person and will be greatly missed.” I was crying so hard by the time I finished I couldn’t hide my sobs for the rest of the service.

Carson put a comforting arm around my shoulders and cried silently beside me.

We left after the burial. I slept for the rest of the day.