I Act Like I'm Tough, He Treats Me Like A Teddy Bear ; 8

Chris’ grip on my arm tightened as he pulled me through the crowd. I can’t believe he would bring me here. Of all places. We walked up to the stage which rose a bit above the crowd. There were two guys in the center, sending each other kicks and punches. I was trying to pull away and resist but he kept pulling me harder.

A skinny guy wearing a fedora hat, a cheap looking bowling ball shirt and faded jeans suddenly came up and greeted Chris.

“Hey man, who have you brought me tonight?” he asked, with a southern drawl. My eyes widened and I looked at Chris incredulously. So this must’ve been what that mysterious note throwing person was telling me about.

The guy had a silver tooth and a sloppy lopsided grin. He looked weedy. “Brock my man!” Chris hollered and shook his hand. “this, is Rose. She’s pretty tough, don’t let them go easy on her.” Chris said winking at me. I ripped my arm out of his grip.

“I am not fighting anyone!” I said yelling at him. His face darkened and he slapped me. “Yes you will. I already entered you, and if you win I get money. So get your ass rady for the fight.” I was shocked. I was seething.

The weedy looking guy, Brock, grabbed my arm and started puling me to the ring, which had just emptied. He took my jacket and pushed me in locking the gate. “Let me out!” I screamed at Chris hitting the cage.

“What’s the matter sweetheart. Scared.” Someone said from behind me. I turned around my eyes boaring into the mammoth of a man standing there.

He was extremely tall, and looked no smarter than a cave man. He was extremely built and was staring at me leeringly. I bared my teeth and sort of hissed at him. he chucked and started circling.

I couldn’t let this guy beat me, but how was I going to hurt him. “This is going to be fun.” He said darkly swinging a punch. I scrambled out of the way quickly and ran into the other side of the cage. Before I could turn he had grabbed my hair and pulled it back.

I let out a gasp. I brought my hand back blindly and hit something. He let go holding his nose. There was blood seeping through his fingers. I smiled and resisted the sudden urge to puke. I can’t stand blood. He let go of his face and advanced on me again. I kicked him in the ribs and he grabbed my foot twisting it.

I twisted my body with the way he was turning my foot and kicked him in the side of the head, causing him to let go. He was a little dazed so I took the chance to continue kicking him and punching him. I landed a blow to his shin and pushed him to the ground.

He looked like I knocked him out so I turned to go to the cage door when I he kicked my feet out from under me. My head slammed on the hard concrete floor. I felt dazed and something sticky was running around me. my vision was blurring and I heard someone shouting my name. Before I blacked out I saw a flash of familiar blue eyes.

My head was pounding manically. I groaned and tried to clutch at my head but something was holding my hands down.

“Don’t move. You’ll only make it worse.” A soft voice said. I opened my eyes and waiting a minute for them to focus before I saw Josh sitting there beside me. I was in a dimly lit room and I could hear people shuffling past the door. I looked around the room and noticed the white walls and the disinfecting smell of a hospital. I felt like I wanted to gag.

I looked at my hands and saw tubes running into them. One was transferring a sickening red liquid and the other something clear, I’m guessing anti-biotics.

“You lost a lot of blood when you hit your head.” I looked at Josh.

“Why?” he knew what I meant.

“He’s always been like that. Only wants to get some money out of his girls. Your lucky it was fighting. That’s not the worst he chooses.” He said quietly.

“It was you, who sent the note.” It wasn’t a question, it was a statement.

He nodded. “I’ve been wondering about that for a while.” I said honestly.

“I just thought you might want to know.” He said.

“Thank you.” I said. The next second my door opened and more than half a dozen faces came into the room.

“Omg, YOUR ALIVE!” Carson screamed and ran to me hugging me fiercely. I winced, her yell was not helping the pounding head.

Trey, Kyle, Jeff, Hayden, Dylan and Dalton were standing there. Looking at me. “So you fight?” Jeff finally asked. I laughed a little.

“Not at all, Chris sort of forced me.” I said looking out the window. The others just seemed to notice Josh and said hi to them.

“He sort of saved me I guess.” I said then told them what had happened. Carson, being the drama queen she is hugged him and thanked him fiercely for saving my life. I rolled my eyes and laughed at his uncomfortable-ness.

A moment later the door flew open again and there stood a tall, brunette girl with sharp green eyes which were red and puffy and my patrol officer Jimmy. I gulped and the others excused themselves.

“Ami.” I said quietly when the door closed. She came over and hugged me. She was my best friend, when I was still living with my parents. I hadn’t seen her in years. I hugged her and cried a little.

“Rosie, are you alright.” She asked sitting on my bed. I nodded my head but then stopped because I realized how much it hurt.

I bit my lip and looked at Jimmy who was smiling. I mouthed thank-you to him and turned to Ami.

“Omg I missed you so much.” I said to her. We started talking then a little bit into the conversation Jimmy asked if we could talk. I told him yes and Ami became silent. I didn’t mind if she stayed.

“You know, this could violate the agreement we made.” He started off saying.

“It was Chris, my EX-boyfriend, he forced me into the fight, they locked me in the rink with a mammoth.” I said quickly. Ami’s mouth fell open. “You had to fight a mammoth.” I laughed and explained that it was a huge guy.

He asked me questions and then that afternoon, with my head bandaged up and a bottle of pain meds and some yellow foul smelling stuff for the cut and extra bandages.

Ami, who had her parents transfer her to Kenth’s was now driving me back to the school with Jimmy following behind us. I smiled, he was a giant teddy bear. We were talking and her and Carson got along great. Unfortunately she was assigned to live with Julie. Which might work out because they are both neat freaks. We pulled into the school and I hugged Jimmy. I saw Josh hanging around and I called him over. He came and I hugged him also.

“Thanks so much.” I said. he hugged me back. I pulled away and smiled at him. Ami was looking at us skeptically. I introduced them and then he offered to help bring her stuff up to the room. With all three of us it only took one trip to move her bags.

Then we gave her a tour of the school. I told her about what happened to when I wasn’t listening and she laughed so hard and decided not to make the same mistakes as me. Later she went off to her room to shower so me and Josh went for a walk.

“Why didn’t you just tell me straight out.” I asked.

He sighed, “I didn’t think you would believe me. So I just thought, you know…” he trailed off making some odd looking hand gestures. I laughed and when I saw the pool I headed straight towards it and sat on the edge plunging my feet into the cool water.

He followed suit and we talked some more. I remembered laying back with my sweater under my head looking up at the stars that were scattered across the velvet dark blue sky and closing my eyes. I fell asleep soon.