13|| Operation: Bring the Brains Back

Follow me:

Instagram: @a.lake.yeah

Twitter: AlekhyaBhat

Chapter 13: Operation: Bring the Brains Back

It's not that I'm dumb. It's just that my brain is like the Bermuda Triangle. Once information goes in there, it's never found again.

~Starlight24

I stood outside the door, rocking on the heels of my feet as I rang the doorbell for the second time, waiting patiently for someone to answer.

"Coming!" came a voice, and I heaved a sigh of relief. Finally someone had decided to remember that I existed. "Sorry, I was having a bath and my parents weren't home," continued the voice, and I smiled.

Max opened the door, and my jaw dropped. He'd just had a bath, and his hair was damp and disheveled and he was toweling it, only wearing a pair of low-waist, white washed jeans. All I'm going to say is that he's positively ripped.

I quickly regained my posture and made sure he hadn't seen my jaw sweeping the floor. I shyly tucked a lock of hair behind my ear and waved.

"Day?" he asked, not bothering to hide his confusion. "No offence, but what are you doing here?"

I blushed and held out my notebooks in front of me so it was shoved into his face. "I need help."

He seemed to have realized he was shirtless, only after a few minutes because I was being so casual about it. He glanced down at his torso in embarrassment and I averted my eyes. I was acting like I saw my crush shirtless every day. "What happened?" he asked, concern immediately overtaking his previously confused tone.

"Uh... My parents have given up on me and think I hang out with the wrong kind of people," I said, my voice soft and meek as I stared at the floor.

"That's a lot of help to ask for," he said, scratching the back of his neck and ushering me into the house.

I walked in, faced him and put my hands on my hips. "I need you to help me whether you like it or not, and I will stay here until you get me an A+," I declared, and he chuckled. Nope, I was not going to be nice and prim and proper and perfect in front of Max even if I had a crush on him. I was the same old high maintenance Day, and I didn't care who I was talking to.

"Okay, where do we start?" he asked, getting back to business.

"Math," I stated. "I really, really suck at math and you're in the school's math club," I told him like he didn't know that fact himself.

"Okay," he said, smiling.

"Really?" I asked, surprised that he'd agreed so easily. "I mean, aren't you super smart? And usually super smart people are also super busy, right?"

He laughed. "Actually, Day, since I'm so super smart," he mocked me. I don't like it when people mock me, especially if Max does. "I finish my assignments two months early, so it gives me a lot of free time later," he grinned.

"That is so stupid." I informed him. Here I was, struggling to finish last week's assignments while he was happily doing the work that was supposed to be given two months later.

"No it's not!" he defended. "It gives me time to..." he gave me a little smirk. "To help damsels in distress." Oh, I was not a damsel in distress.

"I'm not distressed," I said, trying to state the obvious. "I'm just... facing a bit of adversity, that's all."

He raised his eyebrows incredulously and laughed. "Really, Day?" he chuckled. "Really?"