5|| My Palace of Solitude (Fully Equipped with a Lying Loner!)

Follow me:

Instagram: @a.lake.yeah

Twitter: AlekhyaBhat

Chapter 5: My Palace of Solitude (Fully Equipped with a Lying Loner!)

Loneliness expresses pain, while solitude expresses glory. Being alone isn't a bad thing; you just feel the need to hang out with yourself sometimes.

~Starlight24

I groaned and rolled to the other side of my bed, clutching my stomach. Yes, I had successfully bunked four days of school because I was 'sick'. I had a rush of followers gushing through in my other account (the one that I just made a few days ago; my Day one). I didn't know why I was feeling so terrible about all of this. I mean, I wasn't exactly completely lying; it would have been worse if I Starlight was some total stranger and I had made up all of this rubbish anyway. In my case, Starlight was me! Somehow it still made me sick and nauseous to even recollect the incidents that took place during the past four days.

I couldn't just go and admit it to everyone now. What would I say? 'Hey everyone... I'm actually not Starlight's ex BFF. I'm Starlight herself! Ta-da!' That would flush all of my hopes of people trying to get to know me for being me down the toilet.

"Day, Honey, you okay?" asked mom, looking concerned. She thought I'd had a fight and I wasn't settling in my new school. Truthfully, it was the other extreme.

"Yeah... I'm just sick. I mean, it's no biggie," I muttered, throwing my face into my pillow so that the last few words were muffled.

"You haven't stepped out in ages. You look like a vampire." Mom looked at me matter-of-factly.

"Mom," I muttered, logic getting the better of me. "There are no blonde vampires. Period. Also, vampires don't wear glasses because they have super vision."

Mom rolled her eyes. "Why do you have to talk back for every single little thing anyone says?"

"Um... maybe because that's how communication works?" I asked, hopefully. "You see, when you say something, you need to talk back to reply."

Mom was used to my smart aleck attitude and she made no attempt to correct me. Sorry for the sass, but I happen to not be anywhere close to wanting to change myself. Yeah, I was the sassiest klutz alive.

"My point is," continued Mom, choosing to ignore my previous comment. I was a walking net meme box and she was used to it. "You should get some fresh air. It'll help soothe whatever's going on, which you can tell me," she hissed. I acted oblivious to her obvious hinting.

"Fine," I grumbled. "I'll get out of the house and be a lone, lonely loner."

Mom was also used to my usual melodrama. "Honey, go call someone! You are a very social person, and I'm sure someone will accompany you!"

"What if I don't want to have any company?" Mom raised her eyebrows and I backtracked. "I mean... I'm afraid I might do something embarrassing because I have a really bad stomach ache. I might puke on them or something," I lied. Nope, I didn't want to see anyone. I didn't want to have more strangers gushing about how lucky I was to know Starlight.

"Alright, then," said Mom, walking out. "I don't want you to be locked up in your palace of solitude, that's all."

That had a great ring to it. Day Winter's Palace of Solitude that was fully equipped with a lying loner (AKA ME!). Oh, I was the most optimistic creature on the planet right now.

I decided to wear a hoodie and black leggings and look as inconspicuous as possible. I threw over the hood and dashed downstairs so that I could please Mom and go out.