Chapter 13

Jessica Alba as Jessica.
Video is Take Me to church by Hozier. It's one of my fav songs of all time and I think it describes this chapter in someway.
Dedicating this chapter to LadyOtami.

*Co-written and edited by dacasabella*

-------------

Zak's P.O.V.

"Logan, get your ass down here! We're gonna be late!", Jessica yelled as both of us, along with Lily, in my arms, walked out the front door of their house to head towards their black SUV.

"Coming honey!", I heard a faint response from Logan.

We were supposed to be headed to the nursing home where my mom stayed to pick her up for a picnic.

When our dad died two years ago, it was so unexpected and affected our mom in a really bad way. She didn't know what to do with herself after he passed. She had been a stay at home mom when we were young and as we grew up and moved out, he became her entire world. She literally lived to make him happy and in turn, was quite happy herself,

After he passed, she went into a state of severe depression and shut everyone out. She would just sit in her bed and stare out the window and cry for hours. We thought it would improve over time, but it got worse. She barely ate or bathed and just shut herself away from the world.

Eventually, she came to Logan and told him that she didn't want to live in "their" home anymore.

She said that the pain of knowing he was gone combined with the constant reminders of him around the house was unbearable. So she asked Logan to put it up for sale.

Logan initially fought the idea, not wanting to give up the only home we had ever known. But, he soon realized that mom's issues were more than just the house, when he found her unconscious, a bottle of almost empty pills in her hand, when he went home to visit one day after work. Of course, she insisted that it was an accident and that she had forgotten that she had already taken her sleeping pills earlier, but we knew better. If he had not stopped in to check on her, we would have been orphans. That was the push Logan needed to sell the house. It was also what made us decide to buy her a place in a senior's residence.

We didn't really want her to go to a nursing home but, because I had just graduated and started working, and Logan and Jessica had been newly married and pregnant, we were worried that we wouldn't be able to keep an eye on her like she needed. We needed her to be safe and the senior's residence was a good solution. It was like a nursing home for those who needed it but, for those who were "healthy" like mom, they could still live on their own.

Fortunately, the nursing home had really helped a lot, especially with her issues. She was treated well, mentally, psychologically and emotionally. Her depressions and suicide attempts quickly stopped and she became herself again. Apparently, she had even become involved in some of the senior's activities, as well.

We tried to make time out to visit her every three to four weeks, as a family but it was hard considering our busy schedules. But, about four months had passed since we had last saw her and the month before that I didn't go visit her with Logan and Jessica because I had a doctor's appointment that day. So that made 5 months for me then.

Jessica set the picnic baskets in the trunk of the vehicle as I proceeded to hop in the back seat with Lily, buckling her into her car seat beside me.

Jessica then got into the passenger seat and put the key in the ignition, before pressing on the horn a couple of times, obviously signaling, rather impatiently, for Logan to hurry up.