Chapter 17

Here it is, the last chapter.

Chapter 17

I walk inside the house to grab some clothes and other things I know the kids would not want to leave behind.

“Ash everyone is heading back to the camp are you ready?”

“Almost Noah, but tell them to go ahead, I can catch up in a little.”

“Did you want me to stay too?”

“No that is ok, do your job treat the pack.”

“Ok I love you.” he kisses me on the cheek.

“I love you too.”

I walk outside with a bag of stuff but I stop by Calla Lily's body. I sink down to the ground beside her.

“I really am sorry Calla Lily.”

I can remember one of the few times we had fun together. I was 8 years old and Calla Lily was 5 years old. We were living in a cave, it was cold outside and was going to start snowing any minute. Asher was busying dealing with White Pine and Hawthorn fighting. I was sitting at the opening of the cave watching as the snow starts to fall, Calla Lily is sitting next to me.

Come on Ash, lets catch the snow as it falls.”

But it is cold Calla Lily. I don't like the cold.”

Please Ash please.”

Ok ok” we run out to the most open space and start to catch the snow flakes.

They keep melting Ash. How do I make them stop melting?”

You can't, they are colder then you so when they touch your skin they melt.”

oh” she stopped trying to catch them.

Well why not try and catch them in you mouth, they taste like water, I think it will be more fun that way.”

Ok.” She lefts up her head and tries to catch them. And one lands in her mouth. “This is way more fun Ash.” We stayed out for most of the day as the snow falls. Giggling and throwing snow at each other.

Ok maybe we should go inside and see if Asher has made any food. I am hungry how about you?”

How can I be hungry Ash I have been eating snow flakes all day.” She giggles at her own joke. “Now that I think I'm hungry.”

What are you doing?” Father asked.

We were just playing in the snow Father.” I reply

Well do not do it again.” And he turns and walks way.

I am sorry Father, I will never do it again.” Calla Lily says her head down like she had done something wrong.

That is not fair Father. Why can we not play in the snow?”

Because I said so you disgusting little pest.” he said his eyes changing color for just a moment before he walks away.

You should not talk back to Father, Ash.”

But he is wrong Calla Lily, why should I listen him when he is wrong.”

He is our Father and you need to be nice to him.”

I don't want to and you can't make me.”