Chapter 16

1-2 hours before the wedding

The mysterious intruder that he shared faded memories with stood before him cautiously as he then took a small step forward to Yuu's direction. As the wooden floor board creaked under him, he quickly shot his hands up in the air.
"I'm not here to kidnap you," Eren reassured with a breathy chuckle. He removed his cape and tossed it next to him.
"What are you doing here?" The puzzled boy questioned, taking a glance at the silver clock that hung on the wall. There was only an hour and thirty minutes left before the wedding. Adrenaline ran through his veins, and the pleasant smell of his cologne mixed together with the beads of sweat forming on his forehead and under his arms.
"I heard you're getting married. Are those wedding jitters you have or do you want out?"

Do you want out, Yuichiro Ichinose?

The words swarmed around his head and echoed through his ears. Yuu grit his teeth and refused to believe that he'd abandon Mikaela with ease.
"Run away with me. It's not like you to marry someone at this age, and it's not likely of you to want to marry a vampire. Those things are our enemies! They killed my parents, and I'm sure as hell they haven't been friendly to you. Come on!" Eren rapidly pleaded. His breathing grew heavier and louder as Mikaela listened from the other side of the door.

Why now, out of all the times?

"I–I," Yuu stuttered.

"Stop messing around, Yuichiro! We don't have enough time! I know you don't love him, so what's the deal?"

Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

Why can't I speak?

"Come on, dumbass! Let's get you far from here," Eren demanded loudly.

"Don't," Mika softly breathed out, hesitantly motioning his twitching hand to the doorknob.

"Why are you hesitating, Yuu? If you wanted to stay, you wouldn't be hesitating so much," Eren concluded. The screeching, creaking sound, caused by the pressure setting on the floor board, rung in Mika's ears. Eren gripped onto Yuu's sleeve for dear life as he once again threw another question at him, "Am I wrong?"
"I guess not," The stubborn boy paused before continuing with his subtle rejection, "Eren–" Yuu sighed before he was shortly cut off by an alarming thud outside the room. Yuu charged to the door and violently opened it and spotted Mika, marching as fast as he could away. "M-Mika!" The startled boy called out to his lover as his anxiety level reached it's climax. He started towards Mika until Eren gripped Yuu's sleeve again.
"Yuichiro, don't be stupid," Eren begged as his grip tighten.
"I can't go with you, Eren! Maybe I would've accepted a long time ago, but–"
"But what?!" Eren shot back.

You have no idea how hard I fell for that idiot.

"I can't. I have to go," Yuu huffed as he viciously jerked his arm away from Eren. Sprinting as fast as he could, he caught up to Mika in an empty hallway. Mika sensed Yuu catching up to him, but he refused to acknowledge his existence. "Mika! Wait," Yuu pled behind Mika. "What's wrong?"
"What makes you think something's wrong?" Mika deadpanned, not bothering to turn around.
"You just ignored me and–" Mika let out an irritated, breathy laugh while massaging his temples.
"You think this is easy for me, Yuichiro?" The name pierced through Yuu's chest causing him to tense up a bit.
"I don't know what you're talking about!" Yuu hollered.
"Dammit, Yuu. I'm a filthy monster because of you!" Nothing but silence floated through the hall as heated stares were exchanged between the two boys. Lost in thought, maybe Yuu was the one to blame for all of this mayhem, and maybe, he was the reason Mika couldn't bare to love himself, but did he ever carry an ounce of regret? Of course not. "You should've gone with him. You would've been more satisfied, don't you think so?" Mika questioned as he walked off, hoping Yuu would call out to him, holding out hope that Yuu would embrace him, so he could feel the warmness of the body heat he could never have and fill his nostrils with Yuu's natural scent.