Chapter 18.

~~Rescue~~

Grievous stalked through the snow, his canine daemon closely trailing behind. The frigid wind that blew across the valley ruffled the wolf's pelt, and wreaked havoc with his cape that stretched out behind him, dancing in the breeze. The time for battle was nigh, but there was one thing the General had to take care of beforehand.

Silently he ascended the boarding ramp that led into the inner portion of the shuttle. Not even his clawed feet creating an audible sound on the metal flooring.

He approached the unconscious from of the young Kaleesh. She was leant back into the chair, her legs pulled up to her chest and both arms loosely coiled around them. She was leaning off to one side, teetering dangerously close to the edge of the seat.

At her feel lay the form of her daemon. Upon seeing the General, he slithered up into a sitting position with a yawn to display his fatigue. The canine pricked his ears in the direction of the newcomers, watching them intently as he loyally guarded his girl.

Obviously realizing that Grievous wished to speak with the Jedi padawan, the wolf turned to his girl, nudging her gently with his snout to rouse her in a more courteous manor.

She shifted about, at first reluctant to wake, but eventually she groggily opened her eyes, inhaling deeply. She withheld the breath for a few moments before exhaling through her nose in the form of a tired sigh. Her golden eyes met with his. At first she seemed started by his presence, but eventually they held each other's gaze evenly in a more relaxed manner.

With their silent greeting concluded Grievous spoke up, "I require your lightsabers," he informed her, outstretching one of his hands.

She watched him wearily with a hint of confusion in her expression. Perhaps even some suspicion. Her pointed ears gave a twitch as she glanced at his cloak, eyes drifting over the other lightsabers he possessed before she responded, "Why do you need my lightsabers?" she inquired, her eyebrows furrowing in emphasis of her question.

"I wish to hold onto them for the battle," he began, watching as she assumed a neutral visage, giving away none of her emotions, though it was clear she was mulling over his words, "They will be returned to you after the battle." he assured her, his hand still outstretched in anticipation.

She still remained hesitant, and Grievous' patience began to wear thin.

Grudgingly she unclipped both lightsaber hilts from her belt and placed them into the General's hands and watched him wistfully as he stowed them away safely.

He was no fool. He knew far better than to depart, leaving her armed within such close proximity to the Republican forces. No. He ensured to confiscate her sabers to ensure she would heed his command with no option of retaliation available.

"You will remain here until I return," he instructed, swivelling around and turning his back on the young Jedi, his cape dancing around his thin limbs and following his every movement. "Is that understood?" he growled, chancing a look back at the Kaleesh.

"Yes, General." she nodded. No further words were exchanged, and so Grievous decided it was and appropriate time to take his leave. And just as silently as he arrived, he departed from the shuttle with all haste, but not quite fast enough to not catch her final words, "And may the force be with you."

~~~~~~~~~~

Jedi master Starr stood regally before her troops. Her gaze drifted out across the vast icy planes. At her back was the Capitol of Arkania, and ahead lay the Separatist droid armies. Both military forces were ready and raring to go. All that remained was for them to engage.