XXXVII

Zayn took a deep breath as he stood outside the door to their flat. He stalled organizing the soon to be conversation in his head, his mind playing the different parts for each of the other lads as he created their predictable answers in his thoughts. Sighing turned the knob letting himself in, the room was quiet but the smell of fajitas wafted towards him.

Making his way to the kitchen Zayn could hear the voices of the rest of the lads, he paused listening to them as he gaged the conversation.

“How do you think he is doing?” Asked Liam’s voice.

“I haven’t been able to get more than small chat out of him, nothing more, he won’t let me in.” Harry said.

“Me either.” Niall admitted to the group. Zayn was rooted to his spot, unable to move. He wanted to flee but his legs wouldn’t move as he listened to their words.

“I miss her, she was truly such a beautiful person.” Harry spoke, Zayn felt the tears rush down his cheeks, they came so naturally now, flowing down the familiar lines of his face. The rest of the lads agreed from behind the door.

Slowly he pushed the door open turning the heads of the other four lads. Liam stood seeing the water pour from his eyes and moved over to Zayn pulling him into a silent hug.

“Z, what’s wrong?” Harry asked.

“I’m sorry, I’m so sorry…” Zayn whimpered as Liam continued to hold him.

“Hey, hey hey! What are you sorry about?” Louis asked trying his best to smile hoping that would stop the tears.

“I haven’t been myself lately… I’ve been taking it out on you lads.” Zayn whimpered again.

“You miss her, we all understand. Grief isn’t easy.” Niall said softly as he crossed the room towards them.

“I can’t torture you lot like this anymore, I have to go… its best.”

“Go?” Louis asked.

The rest of the lads looked confused too.

“You have to let me go…” Zayn whined once more.

“Zayn, where exactly are you going mate?” Niall questioned.

“I told Simon that I’m out, He agreed to let me out of my contract with the condition that you four stay. You have to let me go alone. I have to go heal.” Zayn explained.

“No. You don’t get an out mate, you can’t run from this! I’m not letting you go. I need you, we all need you. None of this works without you.” Liam told him.

“You have to let me, I can’t make you guys suffer because of me.” Zayn countered.

“You don’t have that choice mate. Leaving us isn’t going to work, you already lost Perrie. Don’t lose us.” Niall said as tears filled his eyes, Liam reached out his hand taking a hold of Niall’s his but still holding on to Zayn.

“How am I supposed to raise the twins on the road? I have to put them first.”

“Zayn? What kid hasn’t wanted to be a rock star? Honestly mate they will be grounded here with all of us. We have to stick together as a family.” Harry said.

“I’m scared…” Zayn finally admitted. Liam cuddled him tighter.

“Of course you are mate, we all are,” Louis said softly. “But if you go then we aren’t One Direction anymore. We’re Two Directions. And let’s face it that doesn’t sound as cool.” Louis smirked making Zayn laugh.

Zayn stood opening his arms up as Harry, Liam, Louis and Niall all enveloped him in a massive group hug. “I love you guys. Thank you.” Zayn whispered.