XXVIII

Zayn tapped his foot impatiently staring at the starch white walls around him he forced himself to breathe normally. In and out. Perrie smiled watching him pace around the room, “Babe, you have to calm down you’re making me nervous!”

Zayn smiled weakly realizing how ridiculous he looked. “I’m sorry sweetie, I’m just a little freaked out.” He crossed over to her and pecked her on the cheek. She smiled making him relax while she rubbed his arms in comfort.

“I’m just excited you know, to be a dad, and a husband.” Zayn said nuzzling her with his nose making her smile.

“You’re going to be a great one Malik.”

The door opened behind them as the doctor walked in. “Good morning Miss Edwards!” She proclaimed, her eyes falling on Perrie and Zayn. “Oh and Mr.?” She asked of Zayn.

“Malik, Zayn Malik.” Zayn greeted her offering his hand for her to shake.

“He is the daddy, and my fiancé.” Perrie explained.

“Wonderful to meet you Mr. Malik. Now! Let’s get down to business.” She exclaimed pulling on her gloves.

“Now Perrie lay back for me on the bed, this might be a little cold.”

Perrie laid back on the table as she lifted her shirt over her pregnant belly. Zayn held out his hand for her to hold, she took it without hesitation glad that he was there for her. The doctor flipped off the lights before she switched on the machine, its screen glowed blue in the darkness.

Squeezing the cold liquid on to her belly. Pressing the wand to her stomach she turned her attention to the screen. Zayn watched her work meticulously with the wand as she listened for the baby’s heartbeat.

He could feel his palms sweat the longer she stayed quiet worrying that something had gone wrong.

“Ahh! There it is.” She said finally making Zayn breathe in, he didn’t realize that he had been holding his breath that whole time, he felt a slight squeeze from Perrie as she held tight to him.

A bright grin on her face. He watched her as she beamed with joy, bringing out his own smile. Zayn bent down a pressed a soft kiss to the top of her head trying to hold back his own tears. “I’m so proud of you baby!”

The doctor twisted the wand around her belly to get another angle. Zayn and Perrie watched in awe at the sight of their baby. “It’s so beautiful, I can’t wait to meet the little tyke!” Perrie exclaimed.

“Actually, I think you mean tykes, you see that right there?” The doctor pointed to a spot on the screen. Both Zayn a Perrie squinted trying to focus on the tiny spot. “That is another heartbeat.”

Perrie gasped for some reason Zayn wasn’t sure why exactly, his eyes still strained trying to make since of what the doctor had just said, his mind worked slowly as Perrie started to cry.

“Two heartbeats?” Zayn asked stupidly still trying to work out the meaning behind that. Perrie turned to him with tears in her eyes as she smiled letting out a shaky laugh. Zayn didn’t understand what was funny until she grabbed his face into her hands and tugged him close.

“Babe, we’re having twins!” She explained.

“Twins? Twins! WE’RE HAVING TWINS!!” Zayn shouted excitedly as he thrust his fists in the air jumping around the room like a mad man, the doctor and Perrie watched laughing at his excitement, he rushed back to Perrie’s side and planted a massive kiss on her lips.

They giggled and cried locked into each other’s embrace as they looked up at the monitor watching their babies’ hearts beat together. “How cool is that? We’ve done good babe!” Zayn chirped up making Perrie smile. “Yes we have.” She whispered back.

Niall walked into the kitchen in search of food, he opened the fridge door but closed it as the sight of a football flying past the window caught his attention. He stepped over to the window looking out to find Liam running around kicking the ball between his feet.

Niall watched him as he moved across the lawn with easy motions, his muscles flexing under his shirt. Liam kicked the ball towards the net at the far end of the field the ball sailed over the net crashing into the fence behind it.

He chased after the ball kicking it back into play, juggling the ball on his knees he struggled to keep it tight. He collided with the net as his shirt hooked on the metal ripping a chunk of fabric. Liam slipped on the ground and came tumbling down to his knees, he punched the ground with anger, as the ball rolled away from him.  

Liam examined his ripped shirt deciding that it was completely torn he slipped it over his head throwing it back to the ground in frustration. His back muscles flexed and strained as he sat on the grass running his fingers through his hair. Niall could tell something was wrong, but he wasn’t sure what, he watched him break down on the lawn as Liam hung his head in defeat.

He crossed the kitchen leaving the window as he made his way towards the doorway. Stepping out into the warm London summer air, Niall made his way towards the broken down Liam.

“Leemo?” Niall breathed making Liam turn towards him.

Liam looked even more in pain at the sight of Niall coming to comfort him, it was all Niall could do to keep him from running away. Liam dropped his eyes from Niall’s gaze as he began to pluck the fresh strands of grass out of the ground around him.

“You’re football skills need some help mate...” Niall joked making Liam look at him in amusement and surprise.

“I’m still better than you.” Liam retorted as Niall sat beside him. They both laughed before falling silent again.

“So what’s wrong?” Niall asked.

“Nothing. I’m fine.” Liam said harshly shutting Niall down.

“You know you don’t have to do everything on your own mate, its okay to ask for help.”

“I don’t want your help Niall.” Liam snarled at him.

“Liam, I don’t know how to help you. I love you mate, I want to help.” Niall said.

“Aren’t you supposed to be falling out of love with me Niall? You can’t have both, just leave me alone.” Liam spat back at Niall rising from the ground leaving Niall alone on the ground breathless from the sharp sting of Liam’s words.

Louis knocked on the bathroom door. “Babe?” Only silence echoed from the other side. Louis tried again. “Harry?” The door opened as Harry pulled it open allowing Louis in, his eyes red and puffy as the tears still cascaded down his cheeks. Harry held up his hands in defeat before falling against Louis burying his face in his chest as he broke down.

Louis rubbed his back as they sank to the ground, Harry rested his chin on Louis’ shoulder, his shaky breaths ringing in his ear.

“What happened?” Louis asked still hugging harry.

“It’s stupid, I’m sorry I’m just being a wimp.” Harry whined.

“Don’t do that Harry, whatever it is something important to you, I can tell.” Louis assured him.

Louis pulled his chin up looking deep into Harry’s hazel eyes swimming with fear. “I love you, and that is all that matters. Let me in Harry.” Louis whispered to him.

“I love you too Louis. And that’s why I need you to help me with something…”

Harry stood up pulling Louis with him up off the floor. He stood back facing the mirror next to Louis. Louis looked down as Harry placed something in his hand.

“You sure?” Louis asked concernedly looking to harry for reassurance. Harry smiled. “No, but I need this. I want this, and I know that if we do it together, I will never regret it.” Harry explained.

Louis nodded before his pressed himself into Harry’s lips breathing in his smell, he raked his hands through Harry’s curls getting lost in his kiss. Eventually they broke apart smiling at each other.

“You ready?” Louis asked holding Harry’s hand.

“Yes, let’s do this.” Harry confirmed.

The bathroom filled with the sound of buzzing as Louis brought up the electric razor up to Harry’s head.