XVI

The Next Morning

Zayn sleepily moved to the bathroom, he flipped on the lights as he looked into the mirror, a horribly bruised reflection looking back at him. His entire left side of his face was a dark black and blue color around his eye and cheek.

Reaching up he touched his cheek, wincing from the pain as he skin screamed in agony, he felt his head begin to throb. He needed painkillers, a couple hundred from the looks of him.

Walking into the kitchen Zayn opened the cupboards searching for a pill bottle, he was having no luck finding any though.

"Try the cupboard on the top left." spoke a familiar voice behind him. Zayn turned slightly to find Liam standing at the edge of the kitchen looking ashamed. He opened the drawer Liam suggested and found a bottle of aspirin. Uncorking the top he shoveled in two pills and choked them down with a gulp of water. Liam was still watching him cautiously.

Zayn turned around fully to face Liam the light falling across his bruised face. Liam gasped at the sight of him, Zayn chuckled at his reaction, Liam obviously didn't realize how good a shot he was.

"What? Am I that ugly?" Zayn smiled, Liam smiled back laughing.

"I’m so sorry! I didn't realize--"

"What that you could punch really hard?" Zayn interrupted.

Liam looked sheepish, unsure of how this conversation was going to go. Zayn wasn't mad, but it did make him feel better that Liam was scared right now.

"I'm sorry." Liam hung his head as he began his apology.

"Hey! Don't worry about it, I’m not mad, you had every right--"

"No I didn't! Niall told me what happened, what really happened. I just saw you two kissing and I lost my head." Liam interrupted.

"Well good, I’m glad you know the truth. I hope you know that you are my best mate and I would never do anything to jeopardize our friendship."

"I know that now, I'm sorry I didn't before." Liam apologized.

"Now, you have to teach me that punch mate that was so wicked." Zayn said as he mimed a boxing stance, punching the air. Liam laughed at him, happy that there was no bitterness between them.

"I'll only teach you if you use your powers for good Malik!" Liam put his palms up allowing Zayn to softly punch his hands as he gave him some tips on his boxing moves.

                                             *~*~*~*

His hand rubbed is lower back, massaging the sore muscles, Harry walked into the kitchen to see Zayn and Liam mock fighting in the middle of the room.

"Don't tell me you two are fighting again?" Harry said as he approached, the two lads stopped what they were doing and turned towards Harry.

"Not this time Haz, we're all good here!" Liam said with Zayn grinning cheekily behind him, his face almost unrecognizable beneath the bruises.

"Jesus Malik, you look like shit!" Harry swore loudly at the sight of his face.

"Thanks for that mate, you look swell too." retorted Zayn sarcastically. Liam laughed.

"Oh you know what I mean! Hey for once I look better than you! Hahaha!" Harry chuckled to himself the pain in his back aching with each laugh he took.

Harry moved towards the cupboard in search of aspirin hoping that would sooth his muscles. He gulped down two pills feeling them slide slowly down his throat and put the water in the tea kettle placing it on the burner of the stove.